Nova Scotia support group.

Mariking
on 10/10/07 7:11 am - Canada
Hi, my name is Marilyn and I was banded on July 5th 2007 at TLBC by Dr Yau in Toronto. I am looking for any WLS people who are interested in forming a local/Nova Scotia support group; maybe getting together monthly for lunch, clothing swap and mutual support. Please contact me if interested. Thanks
sprout
on 10/12/07 10:33 am - kingston, Canada
Hi Marilyn I would love to be involved in a support group. I was banded on July 3rd in Mississauga Ont. and have never felt better and been more positive about myself, I would love to have others to talk to and share with. Where do you live? I am in the Annapolis Valley but am willing to drive, although I do work so it would have to be on the weekend. Have you had many other responses? I am finding it hard to find others who have been banded in this area, mainly because of the hard time we have to get it done I suppose. Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing from you! Sheri
Mariking
on 10/13/07 6:14 am - Canada
Hi Sherri, Congratulations on becoming a bandster. Like you I am feeling better about myself with every passing week and am finally starting to take care of ME after taking care of everyone else (forever!) You are the only response I have had and Im not really expecting anything from people who have been banded a while. They seem to be enthusiastic about support etc in the beginning, then being banded becomes a way of life for them and they just get on with their lives. I think its a shame as they have so much to offer in the way of experience and expertise. So I guess I will try to form a group from newbies. Im in contact with Liz 21 from Halifax who gets banded on Nov 2nd at TLBC in Toronto, and Shawna from Beaverbank (Halifax) who has surgery on 18th Oct, but not through this site but another. I think they are really interested in a group. Im working too, but am off until the end of the month and would like to meet you. Where in the valley do you live? Kingston? Wheres that near? Sound dumb dont I but I came here from Australia and still learning where places are. I know the big ones. Im on the outskirts of Halifax and maybe we could pick a halfway place to meet. Let me know when and where and we'll set it up. It will be me and thee but its a start. Thanks for replying Marilyn
sprout
on 10/13/07 9:51 am - kingston, Canada
Hi Marilyn I was so happy to hear back from you and am looking forward to meeting you. Kingston is clsoe to Greenwood or 34 miles from Wolfville (West of Wolfville) I am about 135 miles from Halifax. I am going to be in the city on October 25 and 26 and 27, (Thursday night Friday and Saturday morning) for a conference so maybe we could meet at some time on that weekend. I will be staying at the Delta Halifax on Barrington Street, is that a place that you could come to or I could meet you somewhere in the city? I am sorry that there is not a lot of interest in starting a group, I hope some of the newer banders will join us at some point. I am 52 years old so I will probably be the senior member of the group! How old are some of the others? When did you have your surgery? How are you doing so far? Have you met Bev Jefferies yet? She is soooooooooo wonderful I have really enjoyed meeting with her, I have had 3 fills, she may actually be interested in a group because she has mentioned it to me before. Boy it seems like I have asked you a lot of questions... sorry, I sound really nosey. Again if we could meet in the city on that weekend it would be great but if you are unavailable perhaps we could meet in Widnsor some time, that would be about 1/2 way. Let me know. Sheri
Mariking
on 10/14/07 12:31 am - Canada
Hi Sheri, This is so great. You wont be the senior member as I will. Ive just turned 63 though everyone says I dont look it, nor do I feel it. 135 miles isnt that far as long as the weather isnt bad but Ill definitly meet you in Halifax when you are here. Just name the place, time and I'll be there. Elizabeth is 21 and Shawna is probably in her late 30's early 40's. I had my surgery on 5th July at The Laparascopic Band Centre (TLBC) in Toronto by Dr Yau. Had three fills and finally getting some restriction in the last two weeks. Now the weight is starting to come off. I was somewhat lucky as I was only 100lb overweight but it was a lot for me as Im only 5'1". Who is Bev Jefferies? Probably someone connected to the Missassauga lot, so no. Ask as many questions as you like, I dont mind. Meeting in Windsor in the future would be fine for me too. Look forward to meeting you soon Marilyn
sprout
on 10/14/07 1:24 am - kingston, Canada
Hi Marilyn I am so looking forward to meeting you! How about at the food court in the Scotia Square Mall on the Friday October 26th at 4:00 PM?There is a coffee/muffin place there( I think its called MMMuffins), we could go have a coffee or tea or something., and a chat. Bev Jeffries is the nurse that I go to to have my fills, she lives in Pictou, which is a 3 1/2 drive for me but I have only had three fills so far, I think I will probably need one more anyway. She is wonderful and yes she was recommended from the clinic in Mississauga. Who do you go to for fills? I have lost 73 1/2 pounds, I am 5'5 1/2 inches tall, and I needed to loose 140 pounds so I am now over 1/2 way there. I am having some issues with some foods are you? I can't eat most bread (a little toast now and then) no rice or any red meat, are you able to eat these things? I have been VERY careful about not eating fat or sugar as well. I find it difficult to eat out as well, do you? It will be so fun to talk to each other and find out all the "tricks" you have to help get over some of the "issues" with food. Are you able to exercise much? I have had a lot of problems with my knees so I have choosen swimming as my exercise, I go every day for an hour and find that I really enjoy it, (not the bathing suit part), but it seems to have really helped me and I seem to have more energy and just feel so much better. Anyway I will stop asking so many questions, it is just so nice to have someone to ask them to. Let me know if you can make it on that Friday and I will look forward to seeing you then. Sheri
Mariking
on 10/14/07 2:22 am - Canada
Hi Sheri, Friday 26th will be fine. You are doing so well. I had practically no restriction till my third fill (my GP does them) and so had a few problems. Now I get plenty of nudges when Im full and have got a couple of things stuck so PB'ed a couple of times. I dont eat red meat; hamburger very rarely; chicken and turkey I find hard so eat mostly fish, shrimp, canned salmon and pork. I can eat bread if Im very careful and eat it very rarely. Toast isnt too bad. Crackers of any kind are fine. Ive always been a strange eater since I was a kid. Few vegies, little fruit but was never sick or fat. I gained the weight since being here and its because of missing my kids, grandkids and family. In a lot of ways its been like they all died and Ive lost my family. Things a little better now because of email but its not like being there and sharing their lives. Its hard and I guess always will be. No-one and nothing can replace it. I eat out and do OK. We go walking early Sun mornings and go to Burger King for breakfast. I manage two eggs and a piece of toast and am stuffed but its my only big meal so I dont begrudge myself it. We had my mentally challenged stepdaughter visiting over thanksgiving and went to Swiss Chalet. I dont recommend going there as they have BIG issues on meal requests. I would have been fine with a childs meal but Im not under 12 so couldnt have it. Everything I suggested was a no-no and yet they didnt mind me sharing my husbands meal. I should have asked to see the manager. I wont be going back. Other places Ive had an appetiser or just something small and its been fine. I dont care if people notice I eat slow or chew a lot, especially when I know they dont realize how much they are eating or stuffing their faces. Exercise doesnt come easy to me but for the past 16 consecutive days Ive walked. Not far (you'll probably laugh when I tell you where) and I didnt think I was losing weight until yesterday morning. I havent been weighed in almost 3 weeks. I tried clothes on yesterday and today and nearly had a fit. I fit into things Ive not worn for 3yrs! and lots will fit in a week or so. Some things are already too big for me. Im not buying new clothes until Im either at my goal weight or at a place where Im happy with myself. (Reckon I could be halfway by now) Think Ill go to Frenchys or value village as I need slacks, only two pair fit for going out and I need some for casual wear. Ive got ones Ive taken in that will do for around the house. Will talk about food issues and how I cope or not when I see you. Its so good to meet people in the same boat for support and encouragement and the friendship which grows from that. See you Friday 28th at the food court. Keep in touch and good luck on your journey. Marilyn
shanan_p
on 10/16/07 1:49 am - Halifax, Canada
Hey I want to Join, too! I haven't read all of the messages here, but I would totally like to hang out, too! LOL Thanks! Shanan
shanan_p
on 10/16/07 1:57 am - Halifax, Canada
Marilyn and Sherri, would you mind if I came by as well for the meeting on the 28th? I would love to see other bandsters, as I am having a hard time on my own. I am almost one month post op and feeling like the honeymoon phase is starting to go. I need some motivation!!! I am 31 and I live in Halifax. Let me know if I can join! Talk to you soon, Shanan
Mariking
on 10/16/07 2:44 am - Canada
Hi Shanan, So great to hear from you. Funnily enough I was going to email you as I saw you were a newbie and in Halifax. The date is Fri 26th (not 28th) at 4pm at the MM Muffin store at Scotia Square. If this date is not good for you then Ill maybe arrange a lunch one day that suits us all. I was banded on 5th July this year and wasnt doing so good until my third fill 3 weeks ago which was also the last time I was weighed. Last weekend I tried clothes on I hadnt worn for 3 years, almost all brand new, and WOW! at least 10 items will fit in a week or so, just a little tight around my hips. This morning I went to my docs and got weighed. LOST 7lb in 20 days!!!! (She also does my fills) What I am doing is working even though I fall off the wagon now and then. I know now my approach is different to others but so what, its working. You are the fourth person I now have contact with in NS; four of us in HRM and Sheri in the valley. This is great for all of us. Ive got lots to share and hope to be a great encourager and supporter and in return get the same for myself. Will talk to you on Fri 26th if you can make it and tell you of my ideas for a group. Keep positive, chin up and see you soon Marilyn It wi
Most Active