Duodenal Switch or Gastric bypass

Kellie010
on 5/31/11 6:23 am - Lower Sackville, Canada
Has anyone here had is is having a Duodenal Switch or Gastric Bypass? Which is better or is the sleeve the way to go. Reading about it is one thing but someone who has gone through it is a better story.

Thank you,

Kellie
coreena691
on 5/31/11 8:45 am, edited 5/30/11 8:45 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
Hi Kellie!

Welcome to the NS board! You may not find many people on here with the DS as it's not performed in NS. I did meet one lady who had it done as her revision and last I heard she is doing very well. Right now NS is only doing the sleeve, but there are a lot of people who have had the bypass in the past or self-pay out of province.

Myself, I just had the sleeve as a revision from my old procedure of stomach stapling 20 yrs ago and am doing really well so far. I can't answer your question as to which one is better but I will say if you have a choice to which surgery, it's best to really do your homework to see which surgery is more suited to your needs. Some people need the malabsorbtion on top of restriction to help lose their weight. There's really not one procedure that does all. We still have to work with whatever procedure we get.

If you're not looking to go out of province to self-pay, you really have no choice but to go with the sleeve and I can say some people have had amazing results so far!

Best of luck and again, glad to have you join us!!!!
By the way, I'm in Beaver Bank if you ever need to chat!

Coreena
VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

Kellie010
on 5/31/11 10:24 am - Lower Sackville, Canada
Thanks so much for the information, I have a lot of homework ahead of me. I like to know everything before I jump ( well most of the time) I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and will discuss it with him. It's A drag that the wait times are so long, but that;s the way things are and I must be patient.

Thanks so much and good luck with the recovery.

From your neighbour up the street

Kellie
coreena691
on 5/31/11 10:45 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Yes, we're practically neighbors! 

I also want to mention I started up support group meetings here in NS.  I'm the facilitator for the meetings in HRM, called OWLSS.
We meet once a month at Sobeys Lr. Sackville in the community room.  You are welcome to join us to learn more info on what life is like waiting and living with weight loss surgery.  We have a couple members who come regularly and are still on the waiting list. 

We will be having a meeting in June, I just have to confirm the date and will let you know if you'd like to join us (it's free to anyone who's had, waiting or advocate for WLS).

We also have a facebook group that is private, but if you want to add me, I will send you a private invite.  Look me up under Coreena Hale

Remember, we've all been there at the beginning and it sure does help to have others sharing your experiences! 

Kellie010
on 5/31/11 11:07 am - Lower Sackville, Canada
I would love to go, please let me know when and thank you very very much.
Kellie
coreena691
on 5/31/11 11:10 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Excellent!  I'll be sure to let you know, and I'll post the info on the board as a new topic!
Have a good day tomorrow, we're finally getting some sunshine! 

Most Active