Now what do I do?

tross1562
on 4/7/11 5:20 am - Las Vegas, NV
I'm sitting here so devastated by being told I wasn't going to get the surgery. It all started in Sept of 2009. I went to Dr. Atkinson seminar so excited about finally making a decision to get healthier and lose weight. I have a stomach stapling 29 years ago at the age of 22. Back then the surgery was in the experimental stage and I was a guinea pig. No counseling, no support groups, nothing. Well after a couple of years of vomiting and not eating the right foods I started to gain back the weight. I now weight more than when I originally got the surgery. Well at Dr. Atkinson's seminar I had the chance to talk to him in private for a few moments. i told him of my surgery and could the Lap Band still be performed, he told yes I would probably have to have an endoscopic procedure done to find out how much scar tissue there was but a definite yes he could still perform the surgery. SO excited I went to my primary doctor (who by the way suggested I have the Lap Band in the first place) she told me that my insurance required me to be on a diet for one year and to have monthly weigh in and everything had to be documented. Well I didn't have a choice so I did it. One year later my health insurance changed to another company and they had only a few requirements, which I had already done. All I needed was, blood work, chest xray and EKG, all done. I went yesterday to meet with the Psychologist and then then to the scheduler. Only one problem Dr. Atkinson no longer performs surgery on those who had previous weight loss surgery. I am crushed.

Now what do I do?  Are there other Bariatic Surgeons in Las Vegas or Henderson? Are they good? Any suggestions?

Terri
Terri    
carriesb
on 4/7/11 3:08 pm
Call Dr. Tom Umbach at 463-3300. He is great.
tross1562
on 4/8/11 2:43 am - Las Vegas, NV
Hi Carrie,
Did you have him as your surgeon?
Terri    
carriesb
on 4/8/11 8:59 am
Yes he did my band and he also did a gall bladder surgery on me 3 weeks later. I did well with both surgeries. I'm doing fairly well with the band had it Feb 16th and have lost 35 lbs.
I know he does revisions and 2nd surgeries. I have heard people in his office who had older stomach staplings that are seeing him for other things.  Even though I didn't have any previous weight loss surgeries I was a difficult case becaue I had a high bmi and a huge umblilical hernia that he had to keep away from while doing the surgery. Every other Dr in town didn't really want to help me.

Shana16
on 4/8/11 6:45 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Hello  Carrie, I am starting my week diet Tuesday any tips?  What brand if shake did you use? Keep up the good work!!!
 LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

tross1562
on 4/9/11 1:31 am - Las Vegas, NV
leesasanders
on 4/9/11 5:34 am - NV
Dr Umbach did my RNY sept 29,2010 he and his staff are great.

Shana16
on 4/8/11 6:42 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Hello, I too have Dr. Umbach as a surgeon.  The office staff and him are the  best.  Good luck and keep us undated... Shana
 LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

tross1562
on 4/9/11 1:31 am - Las Vegas, NV
Post Date: 4/9/11 8:29 am
To everyone who has responded I want toThank you. I feel so much better that people are out there encouraging to keep trying. I am going to Dr. Tengs seminar this morning and will be calling Dr. Umbach office on Monday. I talked to my primary and she says both doctor are very good so the choice is up to me. I feel great right now knowing I have those choices.  Well ladies I will keep you all informed.

Thanks again

Terri    
tross1562
on 4/9/11 1:29 am - Las Vegas, NV
To everyone who has responded I want toThank you. I feel so much better that people are out there encouraging to keep trying. I am going to Dr. Tengs seminar this morning and will be calling Dr. Umbach office on Monday. I talked to my primary and she says both doctor are very good so the choice is up to me. I feel great right now knowing I have those choices.  Well ladies I will keep you all informed.

Thanks again

Terri
Terri    
Most Active