kmholmes07
on 11/6/11 10:36 pm - NY
Hey everyone! I am new to the OH group. I am living in Troy and am just beginning my WLS journey. My doctor sent over my paperwork to Albany Med to get the ball rolling and I am very excited. Has anyone had their WLS at ablany med? What about support groups in the area?
stacezoe
on 11/7/11 2:39 am
I am from West Sand Lake, just around the corner! I had my surgery 8/25 VSG with Dr. Benetti @ Albany Med.
 Inspiration move me brightly...Grateful Dead Terapin Station
  HW 286 SW 279 CW 231 40y/o 5'10  Month 1-17, 2-7#, 3- 7#, 4-3#,5-3#      
debbie13
on 11/7/11 9:35 am - Cossayuna, NY
 I am 2 1/2 years post-op from Albany Medical Center. I had gastric bypass with Dr Dunnican (unfortunately he passed away). All of the doctors there are great. Hope to meet you sometime. We have a support group every Thursday at the South Campus. I try to post a weekly reminder here. Looking forward to meeting you there sometime. 

"The road to health will have speed bumps, pot holes, stop signs and asshole drivers that cut you off... but with WLS, never doubt that you will get there."

Resolve never to quit, never to give up, no matter what the situation.--- Jack Nicklaus

Susan12803
on 11/26/11 10:35 pm - NY
I'm 3 days away from my surgery at Ellis Medicine in Schnectady. We have support groups all month, just call the bariatric center and they will mail you a schedule. We have people there alot from Albany Med's program, it doesn't matter where you decide to have surgery. There is also a North Country meeting in Queensbury NY at the Ramada Inn off exit 19, every 3rd Monday from 6:30 until 8 that you are welcome to attend. Good luck with everything and take it just one day at a time.

kmholmes07
on 12/1/11 10:50 pm - NY
I ended up calling Ellis and I have decided to have my surgery through them. I am still waiting (after a month) for my PCP to get on the ball and write my letter of recommendation. I called on Wednesday and the receptionist said she wouldn't be back til Friday but she would make sure she got the note. So I am going to call again today and continue to call til I am such a pain in the butt that they just hurry and get the letter and prior authorization to my insurance out. When I spoke to the Bariatric team at Ellis and the woman said basically as long as everything goes smoothly and I keep all of my appointments that I could have my surgery date as early as 2 months from my initial new patient appointment. Did you find that to be true with yours? What percentage of weight did they tell you that you had to lose before surgery? Thats my biggest worry, I have PCOS and I have such a hard time losing even 5lbs. I am really nervous.
Most Active
Recent Topics