This is it!! My life changing surgery is tomorrow!!

kanitster1
on 7/18/11 7:48 am - OH
I'm so excited!!  I called and they told me to be at the hospital tomorrow morning at 6am.  I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight!!  I'm in Conneaut at a campground so its going to take a while to get there.  I'm thinking up at 3:30, shower and be on my way :)

kimberly_gr
on 7/18/11 9:30 am
Congratulations! Don't worry about sleep; you'll sleep plenty when recovering.  I didn't sleep much the night before either.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

kanitster1
on 7/18/11 9:33 am - OH
Thanks...thats what I keep telling my husband...lol.

kanitster1
on 7/22/11 2:38 pm - OH
 Well, I made it through ok.  Concentrating on getting my liquids in which isn't an easy thing to do.  
The 4 holes I had from surgery he used glue to close them up.  The only open hole I have is where my drain was.  I can't wait for my tummy to go down.  I feel so swollen.  I've had 2 bowl movements so far which is great but can't wait to get rid of all this gas...lol.  
All the staff at the hospital was great.  So kind and understanding.  The one big complaint I have is that the bed and chair were as hard as rocks and I couldn't sleep well at all there.  I was so happy to get home into my own bed. :)  
I thought I would have lost something because of not being able to eat real food since last Sunday but when I got on the scale I was 4lbs heavier.  I suppose all the fluids they pump into you in the hospital can account for that.
Does anyone know at what week you can start exercising?  Just curious on that.  I want to make sure I am right on top of it when I can start.
Tammie

pixielee
on 7/23/11 1:09 am - Twinsburg, OH
It is either 6 or 8 weeks.  Walk.  That is all they want you doing at first.  Just concentrate on your fluids and your protein.  It really is the most important thing.  I like to mix my vanilla protein with a sugar free Chai tea.  You can get the pre mixed sugar free Chai at both Walmart and Target in the Tea aisle. It is really yummy and when I mix the protein powder with 4 oz of milk it lets me get 30 grams of protein in one hit.  i still sttart my day with this ever day.  Good luck.  Let me know if you want to come to our August support group meeting.

Kate

kanitster1
on 7/23/11 2:02 am - OH
 Thanks Kate for letting me know about the 6 week timetable for exercise.  I do walk every chance I get.  I know thats the most important thing for right now.  My biggest problem right now is forcing myself to stand up straight when I walk.  I find myself bending over as I walk.  But now I also have my husband bringing it to my attention which is good.  Today is better than yesterday and tomorrow will be better than today :)
Tammie

pixielee
on 7/23/11 4:16 am - Twinsburg, OH
I promise every day will get better!  Some days you may not think so, but it will.  It probably took me a good 3-4 months to get the whole food thing down, now it is just second nature.  A good website for recipes (including for your liquid phase) is The world according to egg face.  She is about 5 years out and blogs about her journey.  She is also really creative with bariatric friendly recipes.  Lots of good smoothie recipes too.

Kate

kanitster1
on 7/24/11 6:51 am - OH
 Thanks for the website tip.  I have a question.  Once we are through all the "stages" after surgery and go back to eating, are we supposed to pick out a diet plan to stick to??
Tammie

pixielee
on 7/24/11 8:48 am - Twinsburg, OH
I usually try to not eat anything that has more than 10 grams of sugar, unless it is fresh fruit or vegetables.  i am super boring in what I eat.  But that is what works for me.  Kind of South Beach diet kind of thing.  I don't do any refined sugar or white flour.  They will go over it with you at your 2 week appt.  This is where the support group really helps me stay on track.  We bounce ideas of each other and share product and vitamin information with each other.  I will message you my phone number so if you want to call me you can.  i know how those strange questions can come up in the early stages.

Kate

kanitster1
on 7/26/11 12:31 am, edited 7/26/11 12:31 am - OH
 Great news...one week out and down 14lbs...I love the first week of a strict diet...lol.  You loose all tha****er weight and its great for morale...lol.
Tammie

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello Ohio!
ShanaC · 1 replies · 1127 views
Akron/Cleveland Folk
Daniel B. · 0 replies · 1507 views
Fresh Start Bariatric
Sassylike · 1 replies · 2388 views
Looking for Dr.
Beantowngal2 · 0 replies · 2290 views