Diane (need 2 lose) - Updated

DS Facts
on 4/24/09 1:50 pm, edited 4/25/09 12:57 am
Jillian received the news this morning and Jan let us know this afternoon, Diane (need_2_lose) passed away last night. We don't have many details as to what happened. Many of you will remember Diane was in hospital in Toronto/Hamilton for 6 weeks following her surgey due to a leak in her bowel that created absesses/infection. She was released at the beginning of March and was home in Sudbury. She still had 1 drainage tube in to help with the last absess and was looking forward to having it removed.

She had not been eating; was just barely getting down 1/2 a can of Ensure a day.  She'd gone to the hospital as recently as Monday because she continued to cough up blood and they told her that her stomach was irritated because she was not eating.

Last night (Thursday) she had internal bleeding and was taken in for emergency surgery. She didn't survive the operation.

Every time we lose a fellow wls patient, it is one too many. DS, RNY, VSG, Lap Band, we all accept there are risks involved, and at a time like this we are all reminded how lucky we are and how real the risks can be. There are a number of people from the forums that knew Diane very well and I know they are devistated. They need our support.

My heart goes out to Diane's friends and family.

Jillian let me know that the visitation is on Tuesday and the funeral on Wednesday.

Bev

EDIT: Updated with new info

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/09 1:56 pm - Welland, Canada
OMG that is horrible, she was so nice and so wanted this surgery.  Oh man I am so sorry for her family.  This is just heart breaking........
Elizabeth
(deactivated member)
on 4/24/09 1:57 pm - Sudbury, Canada
Oh wow.. I remember a post way back with her number and i called her and we talked for about 20 mins

This is so sad :(
WildAngel
on 4/24/09 2:16 pm - Windsor, Canada
Wow Bev....that is such sad, horrible news....I don't know what to say  It's sad enough to hear of someone who has had WLS passing away but so hard to comprehend when it is someone you get to know even if it's just online here. My condolences and prayers to her family...
  Gina Musselman-Hill's Facebook profile

Click here to read my WLS journal  

Mikey and Wifey B.
on 4/24/09 2:37 pm - Smiths Falls, ON, ON
her kids, her husband, all who knew her and loved her.....

i feel for them

i am at a loss for words
andreadoe
on 4/24/09 8:49 pm - Newmarket, ON, Canada

Hi Bev,

I visited Diane several times at HRRH. The last time I went to see her, she confirmed that she did, in fact, have a leak in the bowel. Initially she was led to believe this wasn't the case, but later it was confirmed. This is what caused the infections & abcesses. She initially had 3 drains & was told she wouldn't be released until all the drains were removed. But, she was so lonely & anxious to get back home, they released her with one drain remaining.

This is devastating news. I met her husband & kids. They are wonderful people & my heart is breaking for them. They were dealing with other issues too. Her finished basement had been flooded just prior to being admitted to HRRH & her poor husband was trying to deal with the kids, the insurance, the repairs & his sick wife.

Please post more information regarding funeral arrangements as soon as you have them.

Take care,

Andrea

OH Certified Support Group Leader for the York Region/GTA Support Group.
ohcardsmandrea.jpg picture by lynnca1972

DS Facts
on 4/25/09 12:40 am
Thank you so much for the added info Andrea.

Bev
andreadoe
on 4/25/09 6:14 am - Newmarket, ON, Canada

Hi Bev,

No problem. That poor girl was told so many contradicting stories. In Sudbury, she was told she had a leak & needed to go to Toronto. She assumed it was a leak from the bowel & was freaking out. At HRRH, one of the Interns told her one of her abcesses was leaking. She assumed this was the leak they were referring to in Sudbury. Then, just before she was released from HRRH, she was told that she'd had both a leak of the bowel (that is what initiated the whole problem) & also one of her abcesses had been leaking. Every time I went to see her, there was something new. Plus, she had a bad case of bronchitis & they were treating her for that.

Again, I'm heartsick over this. I had gotten her phone # & address & meant to call or drop in when I went to Sudbury to visit my Grandmother. Then the trip was postponed & when I did go, I forgot to call her. I'm feeling so badly about that right now.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know.

Take care,

Andrea

OH Certified Support Group Leader for the York Region/GTA Support Group.
ohcardsmandrea.jpg picture by lynnca1972

Laurie R.
on 4/24/09 8:52 pm - Windsor, Canada
I am so sorry to hear of Diane's passing. My condolences to her Husband , children and entire family.

3 years Post-Op Life is Good I  myself --Ive lost  227 lbs 
BMI

TerryLynnL
on 4/24/09 9:03 pm - Embrun, Canada
Wow, this is very sad news.
My sympathies to her family and friends.

Most Active
Recent Topics