Interesting question

Lisa3756
on 3/25/11 4:12 am - Ottawa, Canada
So...on one of the forms that I had to fill out for the behaviourist, they asked the question:  "You know the benefits of having surgery, what are some of the benefits of NOT having surgery?"

I just thought it was an interesting question.  What would you have answered pre-op?
Lisa

Referral sent 2010-03-02
Information session 2011-01-21
Appointment with the nurse 2011-02-17
Appointment with Diet/Behav 2011-03-09
Scope 2011-04-29
Education session 2011-05-04
CT Scan 2011-06-02
Appointment with Dr. Yelle 2011-06-28
Appointment with Dr. Klein 2011-08-16
Surgery - Hopefully!
Lil-Stinker
on 3/25/11 4:15 am
You definitely won't rock the boat or **** anyone off!
Referral sent on 26 Feb 2010 - Sleep Study on 28 May 2010 - Info session at WMC on 14 Jan 11- Appt with the APN (nurse) on 27 Jan 11 - Dietician and Behaviorist appts on Feb 24. WLS Class 6th April 2011 - Surgeon appt 3 May 2011 Dr Yelle - Surgery June 6th          
Karen M.
on 3/25/11 4:20 am - Mississauga, Canada
Jeebus, that's a good question.  I'll have to think on that.  I suspect I probably would have answered something about the risks of having surgery (the actual surgery, not the post-op life).  Hmmm. 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Uschi
on 3/25/11 4:37 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
RNY on 02/22/12
Hi Lisa,

Interesting question. The first thought that popped into my head was that without surgery we wouldn't be losing the important absorptive area of the stomach/digestive tract. Therefore not making it critical that we need to take large doses of certain vitamins for the rest of our lives. Another benefit of not having surgery is not going through the risk factors associated with any surgery - for example - leaking, bleeding.
Uschi

mom4life
on 3/25/11 5:53 am - Port Rowan, Canada
For me it would have been not having to face the people that think I took the "easy way out".  And in my own mind, admitting that I needed surgery meant I failed...and I know that it's not exactly true, but our heads talk to us and don't always tell us the truth, but that is how I felt when I first decided that I needed this "drastic" help.  I felt like that meant I failed, and couldn't do it on my own.  Obviously I have come to grips with that, at least to some degree...and if nothing else at 108.8 less I am a VERY happy "failure" LOL.

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
  but anyone can start today and make a new ending.? ~Maria Robinson

HW:  292 lbs          SW:  226 lbs        Clinic's GW:  160 lbs          My GW: 145 lbs

Gabygee
on 3/25/11 10:52 am - Canada

Well, the anxiety about how I'm going to cope with the post-op complications is driving me around the bend right now (10 days pre-op).
So I probably would've mentioned my fear of the malabsroption issues, and how (should I back out last minute) my fears would be assuaged.

That having been said, I would have probably added that my psychological cop-out would have only perpetuated my lifelong despair over my food compulsion ... and would have ended up being self-destructive in the long run.
Does that make sense?

Re-DiscoveringMe
on 3/25/11 9:57 pm

The world is struggling with an obesity epidemic so superior solutions to the surgeries available today will be developed. The challenge for everyone on OH is that we need intervention now and surgery is the best solution we have.

Rated5Scars
on 3/26/11 3:41 pm - London, Canada
I'd be $17,450 richer.

VSG Nov 30, 2010
Most Active
Recent Topics