Looking for clothing for my son

aprilbennett1965
on 3/28/11 9:58 am - Canada
I hope this is the appropriate place to post this...I have looked and can't seem to find a separate forum for this question...like me, my son is also obese. I am tired of paying obsence shipping costs for clothing from the USA, and I just cannot afford to shop regularly at George Richards. They have to have a 75 percent off sale for the prices to be normal lol. Anyhow, I am looking for both pants and long sleeve casual/dress shirts for my son for work. I thought perhaps there might be someone on here that has already had surgery and looking to get rid of clothing that is now too large. I am willing to pay for them, as well as the shipping costs if anyone has any to sell. His shirt size is a 24 neck, and depending on the pants he will fit anywhere between a 68 and 72. I am basing this on US sizing as most of the clothes he currently has is from there.

Or if anyone can recommend a good store in Canada, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks
Karen M.
on 3/28/11 10:26 am - Mississauga, Canada
Wish I could help you out!  Have you checked out the V-boutique (Value Village)?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Re-DiscoveringMe
on 3/28/11 10:28 am
I don't know if their prices are any better than George Richards because I haven't been there in more than ten years but there is a great store in Hamilton called Gilberts Big and Tall. I've never seen such great selection for big and tall men as I have at that store. They have a website but it's not designed for online shopping so you'd have to visit.
Paula Williams
on 3/28/11 10:43 am - Keswick, Canada
I have noticed some larger sizes at Winners.  Try the clearance rack for men - best of luck!
  Be my singing lesson/Be my song/When I tell you I am falling/Tell me I'm strong

Karen M.
on 3/28/11 10:47 am - Mississauga, Canada
Actually, that's a good idea. They often have larger sizes.

Karen

aprilbennett1965
on 3/28/11 8:40 pm - Canada
Thanks for your replies everyone. I have checked Value Village and Winners and have been unsuccesful.  Unfortunately I am in Ottawa, so Hamilton is too far to travel without knowing what is there. Thanks for the info tho.
Karen M.
on 3/28/11 10:57 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Sorry we couldn't be of more help.  Hopefully some of the men on the board will have some ideas for you.

Karen

allmylife4
on 3/28/11 10:54 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/16/12
Not sure what part of Ottawa you are from, but they have (or used to) a Big & Tall at Billings Bridge. I haven't been to Billings in a long time so I'm not sure if it's still there. Someone also suggested Winners, best of luck to you.

Julie

Julie    
theunnamable72
on 3/29/11 3:46 am - Guelph, Canada
Sadly for his size George Richards is the only easy option in Ontario. I was a 20" neck and 56" waist/chest at my largest and GR was the only place I could find clothes that fit and more importantly, gave me at least some choice and the ability to be at least somewhat fashionable. 

IMO in the work world, being obese is hard enough but add the need for professional and proper fitting clothing into the mix and it can be extra hard.

You might check pants at Mark's Work Warehouse but for tops, not many places have 20"/5x sizes and up...Winners was not an option for me. I always find GR has lots of clothes on clearance, usually out of season, and I keep popping in to load up when i find good stuff on sale. Also, their regular dress shirts aren't that expensive compared to anywhere else - regular or plus size.

Like the other posters mentioned, you may be able to find other local big & tall stores but you're always going to pay a premium for clothes his size simply because of the limited supply/demand and the extra material required for our big guy clothes.

The US has more and better/cheaper selection so it might be worth a search on the web and a road trip to load up for summer/fall/winter

theunnamable72
on 3/29/11 3:47 am - Guelph, Canada
You may also want to try a post on the Men's forum. You might have more luck there.

Most Active
Recent Topics