Is WLS like quitting smoking?

Lisa3756
on 4/5/11 10:22 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I'm a former smoker.  I haven't smoked in over 13 years but every once in a while, not as often as I used to, but once in a while I still crave a cigarrette.  I would never give in but the thought is there.

Is it like that with food after WLS?  Even though you know you won't give in, do you still crave some foods, even out of habit?  Or is it the reverse, where you don't crave things at first but then it starts coming back?
Lisa

Referral sent 2010-03-02
Information session 2011-01-21
Appointment with the nurse 2011-02-17
Appointment with Diet/Behav 2011-03-09
Scope 2011-04-29
Education session 2011-05-04
CT Scan 2011-06-02
Appointment with Dr. Yelle 2011-06-28
Appointment with Dr. Klein 2011-08-16
Surgery - Hopefully!
Karen M.
on 4/5/11 10:32 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I've ever done, several times. lol
I get food cravings, yes.  Luckily, most of the time it's for healthier-type things.  Or chips. The good thing is, I can eat a handful of chips and be completely satisfied without having to eat an entire bag.  Very rarely I'll crave something sweet, but since I "quit" sugar, I just don't go there, much like avoiding a smoke.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

sam1am
on 4/6/11 1:38 am
I quit smoking 3.5 years ago and still miss it sometimes too.  Unfortunately, I have never lost my hunger or cravings, luckily, I fill up much faster!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

irol770
on 4/6/11 9:41 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
 I've never smoked, so I can't compare.  But I do get cravings for food sometimes.  Sometimes I really crave salty foods.  I prefer chips when I get that craving, but if I'm trying really hard to be good, then I will eat salted sunflower seeds or some other nuts.  But there is something about potato chips that sometimes only they will do.

That's not to say other things don't tempt me...if there are cinnamon buns sitting around I would probably want to have one (or some of one).  when we have birthdays, I usually will have a bite or two of cake.  But I don't crave those things.  If they aren't there, my body isn't calling for them the way it does for the salty foods.
Glitter Text Generator

AuntieSue
on 4/6/11 11:56 pm - Cambridge, Canada
Hi Lisa,

I quit smoking in 2004 and had weight loss surgery in 2007.  Quitting smoking is difficult, but if you kick it you never have to smoke again.  Yes the odd time I reach for a cigarette especially when driving, but I just chuckle to myself.  Now, for WLS, you still have to eat.  You will learn how to use your "tool" - you can still have "junk" foods, but at least you can only eat a little of it.  You will still get cravings after surgery. 
I gained about 50lbs after quitting smoking, but I have lost 150 lbs after WLS.
Good luck with your journey.

Regards,
Sue
Most Active
Recent Topics