Confused about WLS Procedures

northernlight
on 4/13/11 10:27 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12

Hi All!   Yep, it's me again with another question.......

Since my orientation session back in Feb, I automatically assumed that I would be having the RNY procedure if I'm approved for surgery - that's the one the two nurses at the seminar talked to us about. Now I seem to be reading posts from more people saying that they are having "Sleeve" surgery (is that the same thing as what they call "DS"?), instead of RNY. Who decides which procedure you're having and why would they choose one over the other? Is one safer than the other? Does it depend on how heavy you are or what your BMI is? I've been doing all my research on RNY - should I start looking into the Sleeve procedure too? I want to be prepared and knowledgeble when I finally meet my surgeon.

Are you tired of all my questions yet?  Thanks!

Deb

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/11 10:45 am - Canada
Hi;

I found this site very informative when I was doing my research..................

http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/gastric-sleeve-surgery.html

It sure did enlightened me.
northernlight
on 4/13/11 11:09 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi there! 
Thanks so much for the link to that site!    I'm definitely going to check it out! I know nothing at all about the sleeve.....

Deb

PaulaToronto
on 4/13/11 11:35 am - Toronto, Canada
There is NO BMI criteria for VSG. There is for the DS in Ontario. 
trudylam
on 4/13/11 11:48 am - Sudbury, Canada
In order for OHIP to pay for the procedure there is a BMI requirement.

Note:
1. S114 Sleeve gastrectomy is only eligible for payment when:
a. a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass is not possible due to small bowel disease/adhesions or
previous surgery;
or
b. performed as a planned staged surgery in patients with a BMI > 60 to enable the
patient to lose weight.

It may not be a requirement to have the surgery but it is if OHIP is footing the bill.

Here is the link
Go to page 12.

northernlight
on 4/13/11 12:26 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks for that link Trudy - looks like I'm going to be kept busy for awhile, but that's okay. I'm hoping that once I start looking into the procedures, I'll find it easier to decide which one would be better (safer?/more effective?) for me. Boy, just doing this research could almost be a full-time job in itself!

Deb

northernlight
on 4/13/11 12:20 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Paula!

Thanks for that reply - it seems odd to have the BMI criteria for one and not the other. I'll be checking everything out so I'm well informed.

Deb

trudylam
on 4/13/11 10:59 am, edited 4/13/11 11:00 am - Sudbury, Canada
The vertical sleeve (VSG), Roux -en-Y (RNY), and duodenal swtich (DS) are 3 very different procedures.  In Ontario only the RNY and VSG are covered by OHIP in most cir****tances.  If you qualify for weight loss surgery, you most likely will qualify for RNY.  VSG is only covered by OHIP if your BMI is over 60, if you have a medical reason that requires you to take NSAIDS, or if your abdominal anatomy has been altered by previous disease or surgery that would prevent the RNY from being done.  That being said, there are some people who have been able to get the sleeve done once they have discussed their options with their doctor.  In order to qualify for weight loss surgery in the first place, you have to have a BMI over 40, or a BMI over 35 with co-morbidities like diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, etc...

Keep researching, there's alot to learn. :)

Hope that helps.  :)

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/11 11:11 am - Guelph, Canada
 beautiful answer... 
northernlight
on 4/13/11 11:34 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Trudy!
Yes, that does help a lot - thanks for all that info. See, I didn't know that VSG & DS were different procedures! I'm sure that I qualify for all of them as I have a few different co-morbidities and my BMI is 61, so very high! I wonder if  my doctor here at the bariatric clinic will tell me which one  I'll be having or maybe I'll have to wait to see the surgeon out of town - hmmmmm. There's more and more to learn it seems.
I guess I'd better do my research about all of them - whew!

Deb

Most Active
Recent Topics