Guelph Waiting Times?

Sharri63
on 4/21/11 4:07 am - St. Thomas, Canada
Hi..Just wondering if I could get some input on "Surgery Wait Times" for Guelph?  My final doctors visit is May 10th and my Surgery (nutrition) Class is June 2nd!  I'm hearing from other people that I may have to wait up to 4 months?   This has been a long drawn out process (as I'm sure everyone agrees) that started last April!!  I was to see the doctor on Easter Monday but he has cancelled this appointment (which upset me immensely).  I know what your thinking but it's only a difference of what 2 weeks...right?  But it could change everything?  I (like most people) want the surgery...yesterday!  LOL  So just wondering what everyone is hearing (or has experienced) regarding Guelph wait times?   Thanks so much, Sharri       
lovin_life
on 4/21/11 4:51 am - Canada
Hi Sharri,
Im am also going through the process at Guelph, we are actually pretty close in our time lines. I spoke to the clinic on Tuesday of this week and this is what I was told. I will be attending my surgery info class on May 10th, I will be seeing the surgeon within 2-3 weeks from then and then my surgery will be booked for 2-3 weeks after my surgeons appointment. So for me they said I am right on track for a mid June surgery. I hope this helps a little bit. Trust me I know how frustrating the waiting game is.. and even more so when your appointments get bumped. I have been going through the WLS process for almost 3 years now and have been bumped around to 4 different clinics. But in then end it will all be worth it. I just think of it as the waiting games gives me extra time to prepare and train myself for life after surgery. If I can help you out with anything else or you have any more questions please feel free to ask away!

Take care!
Lovin' Life
Sharri63
on 4/21/11 5:50 am - St. Thomas, Canada

Hi Lovin' Life...Thanks so much for the message.  Sorry to hear that it's been a 3 yr. process for you.  Guess I shouldn't complain then?  LOL  May I ask why you were bumped around to 4 different clinics and why it took 3 yrs?  Did you have underlying health issues that slowed the process?  And yes your absolutely right it will give me extra time to prepare and train myself for life after surgery but I'm an impatient person..I want the surgery like YESTERDAY!  LOL  I do honestly appreciate all the hard work the clinic staff has done for me and thank them several times when I see them.  It's a long drawn out process but I've learnt so much  and have met some truly wonderful people in the waiting room.  Especially the 2 wonderful ladies that I carpool with.  Hopefully I've made new friendships to last not only through this process but for a lifetime!! So thankyou Laurie and Judy!!  I wish you luck in your journey Lovin' Life and I hope that things run a little smoother for you.  Please keep in touch and let me know how you make out.  Hopefully your surgery is mid June!!  Good luck and take care!!! 

Sharri 

3littlepigs
on 4/21/11 5:23 am
 I saw the surgeon Dec 7 ,2010 and had my surgery Feb3, 2011.  I did not have a surgery nutritiion class.  They started this program recently.  Trust me the wait is well worth it.  Before you know it you'll be on the other side and sending messages to other people who are frustrated. Hang in there!  Your time shall come grasshopper.
Donna

Sharri63
on 4/21/11 5:34 am - St. Thomas, Canada

Hi Donna...Thanks so much for the message!  Wow I can't believe you didn't have a surgery (nutrition) class, but I take it you had your surgery done in Guelph?  I know the wait will be worth it in the long run but it seems to be intolerable!  LOL  I can't wait until I'm on the other side sending encouraging messages to those whom are frustrated because I'd love to help them get through this difficult time!    Thanks again for the words of encouragement!
Sharri    (grasshopper to you!  LOL) 

on 4/21/11 7:30 am - Canada
Guelph has always done one on one nutrition teaching   but as of May this changes to classes
Sharri63
on 4/21/11 7:34 am - St. Thomas, Canada

Hi Donna...Thanks for the message!  Oh okay I didn't know they changed it thought it was always that way.  Just like apparently they use to have you see a Physiotherapist and then you didn't.  But now it's back in and part of the program!   Take care Donna!
Sharri  

lovin_life
on 4/21/11 1:57 pm - Canada
Hi Sharri,
 No problem! I always like to help if I can. I was bounced around the different clinics for a couple of reasons, more or less my own choices ( no under laying health problems). I was first going to Dr.Christou because he was the first doctor that I had heard about doing the surgery through OHIP but the waiting list was waaaayyyy long so I was then refered to  Buffalo General for my surgery but just as I was accepted into the program the government changed the guidelines for OOC funding and I no longer qualified, so then I was sent to HRRH and at that time things were just getting started and the entire process was a mess. I was told my wait time would be at least 2 years before I would get an appointment. So I did a lot of research and I actually chose to go to Guelph. My referral was sent directly to Guelph not the registry. I knew the wait at Guelph was a bit longer but I felt much for comfortable with the staff there. Its actually kind of funny because when I was refereed to Guelph I called HRRH to let them know I was not going to be doing the program there but they never took my name off the list and about a month ago I got the orientation package in the mail (that was after 2 years from the time my referral was sent).
Most Active
Recent Topics