Had My Upper GI today

northernlight
on 5/10/11 6:43 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Just wanted to report that I had my Upper GI this morning at the hospital and it was definitely much easier than I thought that it would be! I was given a paper pill cup containing baking soda crytals and a styrofoam cup containing Barium (room temp - not cold) and was told to toss back the crystals, then take a big swallow of the Barium. I took that swallow, then proceeded to chug down the entire cup so that it was done with. The taste was not terrible, just thick and chalky. They took the Xrays and I was free to go within a few minutes. I feel kind of embarrassed now for worrying about it so much beforehand, but that's my nature. Hopefully I won't have to have a scope done, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I also had my BNP blood test done yesterday & the cost was $80. I'm going to submit a claim to my health care provider to see if they'll cover it. I also had to see my cardiologist and have a cardiac ultrasound done and I'm seeing him next Monday to get the results of both tests. Hopefully he'll be satisfied with my results and will not block me from having surgery. Please keep your fingers crossed for me! Thanks! 

Elisabeth G.
on 5/10/11 7:01 am - Windsor, Canada
 Glad that it wasn't as bad as you were expecting

northernlight
on 5/10/11 9:00 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12

Thanks Elisabeth! I'm really relieved that it went well and it's over!

Deb

Sharvanne
on 5/10/11 7:07 am - Canada
 Jus****ch out for the gas pains after the crystals. I found that walking afterward helped lessen it. I'm glad you had such a trouble-free time.
Highest Weight - 372 (May 2010)
Surgery Weight - 332.6 (March 4, 2011)
Current Weight - 212.9
Goal Weight - 175
northernlight
on 5/10/11 9:02 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Sharvanne and thanks for the heads-up. So far, no pain of any kind, thank goodness!

Deb

rose_d
on 5/10/11 7:42 am - Windsor, Canada
please don't forget to drink lots and lots of water. It will take a few days to get out of your system and when it does "wow" what a pain it can be if you don't drink lots of water. I'm glad it went well for you. When I had mine done at Met Hospital in Windsor, the computer that runs the Xray stopped working and that was after I swallowed the crystals and Barium and told not to burp. They let me sit down while they set-up the older machine and then I had to swallow more crystals and drink more barium. Not a very pleastant day.
I had the scope done in Guelph by Dr. Reed and it wasn't bad at all. I don't remember a thing so that is good.
Hoping for the best for you with your cardiologist next week!
northernlight
on 5/10/11 9:06 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Oh Rose, what an awful thing to happen! You poor thing! Drinking the barium & the crystals once is bad enough, but twice???? I normally drink a lot of water every day so that's not a problem - it should flush right out of my body with no problems. I hope that I don't have to have a scope but, if I do, I hope it goes as well as yours did! Thanks for the encouragement!

Deb

Quinns_mommy
on 5/10/11 8:20 am
Thanks for the update Deb... keep us posted. Glad the test wasn't as scary as you thought it would be :)

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
northernlight
on 5/10/11 9:07 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Me too!  Guess I was overthinking it.....

Can't wait now to follow your progress!

Deb

sam1am
on 5/10/11 8:52 am
 I'm glad it wasn't too bad and my fingers are crossed for you!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics