Injections

Gabygee
on 6/13/11 5:53 am - Canada
Yes - I didn't realize that I needed a bit more money for my checkout procedure than I had calculated.
First there was a nominal charge for the phone in my room (which I didn't even know I had) and then upon departure, they send you over to the pharmacy with a shopping list.

I ended up spending about $45 on various things I needed including th Heparin - to which, as it turned out, I was allergic.
Who knew?
Very rare, it appears.

tango123
on 6/13/11 6:03 am
Do all patients have to do this. Is this standard? I would hope that all hospitals follow the same practice if its a health risk.
sueberman
on 6/13/11 6:19 am
I've only heard that Humber does it.
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

debralight
on 6/13/11 6:20 am - Canada
You'd think there would be some commonality between the various centres. However, other than the fact that they do the same surgery(s)  it appears not much else is the same. Preoperative requirements (scopes and testing) differs as does the diet after and the various supplement / drug post surgical regimes.

Logical - not very.. welcome to cutting edge state of the art Healthcare.
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Leslie W.
on 6/13/11 7:41 am - Cobourg, Canada
They don't do it at TWH. At least they haven't mentioned it it any of the literature. And no it does not hurt to inject it. The needles are so fine that it feels less than a misquito bite. Since it does thin the blood have to watch for bleeding, be careful not to cut self etc...

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Tanya T.
on 6/13/11 9:25 am
St. Joe's in Hamilton does as well.  When I met with the nurse she gave me the DIN number  to call my insurance company and see if it was covered and my insurance covers it she told me if it wasn't coverd to let the hospital know.  The medication given at St. Joe's is called Tinazaparin.

Hope this helps!!!

Tanya

JennR
on 6/13/11 10:24 am
The injection prescribed by St. Joe's Hamilton is more or less the same blood thinner as prescribed by all the other hospitals. It is very common to be prescribed a blood thinner post operatively and few people have an allergic reaction to it. The needle itself is very small and very fine, what may hurt is not the actual needle but the medication being injected. Most people that I have injected (I'm a nurse) say that a slow injection hurts less.

on_my_way2011
on 6/13/11 10:49 am - Canada
I just went to an orientation at HRRH today and they do require the blood thinners for all WLS patients.  However, they also send some patients to St. Joes (Toronto site, not the one in Hamilton) depending on which surgeon you are assigned and they said St. Joe's does not require patients to use blood thinners.  The dietician doing the presentation said HRRH considers it a "best practice" but they can't impose their views on other hospitals.

Hope that helps...

Tracy

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

mollyandboo
on 6/13/11 1:34 pm - Canada
yes,, had my surgery at hrrh may 27th and they taught me how to self inject.. easier than i thought.. 8 days..

mom4life
on 6/13/11 8:42 pm - Port Rowan, Canada
At Guelph, I had one blood thinner shot in the hospital post op and none after, they don't send you home on blood thinners...at least not me.

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
  but anyone can start today and make a new ending.? ~Maria Robinson

HW:  292 lbs          SW:  226 lbs        Clinic's GW:  160 lbs          My GW: 145 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics