alcohol clairification

longjourney23
on 6/30/11 12:52 am
hey all, i'm just wondering why you are not allowed to have alcohol for 3 months before surgery....i have totally been over the 3 months but someone asked me why and i didn't know how to answer. i know why you can't AFTER but why not before....

thanks
(deactivated member)
on 6/30/11 1:01 am - Canada
I dont drink so I didnt really pay too much attention to this segment of the orientation or class but I imagine it has to do with the liver.   We're already dealing with a non-alcohol fatty liver, I think drinking would just compound the problem.
trudylam
on 6/30/11 2:00 am - Sudbury, Canada
For a few reasons.  Alcohol is a blood thinner that affects your liver.  They want you off it so they don't encounter bleeding issues while doing the surgery.  Secondly, alcohol is a no-no post-op so they want you to wean off it so you are are prepared for not being able to have it after surgery.  Same goes for caffeine and soda and smoking.  Smoking is more serious though because it hinders the healing process and can cause post-op complications.  
Radiogirl39
on 6/30/11 9:17 am - Canada
UUMMMMM, WHAT?!  I musta missed that in the orientation cuz I have not heard or read that anywhere. Oh Lordy! It's summer! This is my last hurrah and I'm going to Vegas!

Ok, I'm going to calm down now. I don't have a surgery date and don't see the SW or NUT til July 22nd.  But they were thinking I may get in for surgery in September.  I did want to hold off until November, but that is partly because I am going away for my 40th birthday in late October! Ok, I'm panicked again.

Wow, just when I think I have come to terms with this whole thing something else is taken away from me
trudylam
on 6/30/11 9:41 am - Sudbury, Canada
Some people can tolerate alcohol after surgery but not right away.  Most wait months or even years before trying it.  This is not a diet, this is a life change.  You have to get that wrapped around your head because if you don't you are in a heap of trouble.  We have to learn to celebrate our milestones without using food or booze to commemorate the moment.  When you meet the nutritionist she will spell out the no smoking and no booze very clearly.  In Hamilton the rule was 6 months smoke free and 3 months alcohol free. (I think I am remembering that right). These are a couple of rules that can't be broken...it's for your own good.  Best of luck to you on your journey.
Radiogirl39
on 6/30/11 9:56 am - Canada
I knew about the after, it's the before I was not prepared for. So if I go to on my vacation in October for my 40th birthday and I drink that week, they will make me wait until January?  I have my NUT appt July 22nd, so she will talk to me then about it I'm sure. But what if they have a surgery time for me in Sept, will I lose my spot because I have had some drinks throughout the summer?  I need a beer for this conversation.
trudylam
on 6/30/11 10:03 am - Sudbury, Canada
It's up to the surgeon whether or not to do the surgery if you have had alcohol within 3 months before surgery.  My suggestion would be, don't risk it.  You don't want to go through this process and then they tell you that you can't have the surgery for something as silly as a beer.  Having the drinks over the summer may show that you can't make the changes that this surgery requires and they may reject you.  They are very specific about the requirements and if your bloodwork or any other tests show alcohol, they will turn you around.  It's for your own safety.  Our livers are damaged enough from the fat, alcohol just adds to that.  It's your call ultimately, but yes they can reject you if they detect or suspect alcohol use within 3 months of surgery.
Radiogirl39
on 6/30/11 10:05 am - Canada
Sorry for the hijacking.  But jeez! How can I be prepared if I'm not told?  Thanks for the info.
trudylam
on 6/30/11 10:12 am - Sudbury, Canada
Hope it helped. :)  Don't worry about it too much.  The nutritionist will go over everything with you.  Have a great night. :)
BrigitteD
on 6/30/11 10:20 am - Sumerstown, Canada
Please let me know what you're Nut sais cause this is news's to me to, like you I like a beer but now I won't anymore so I don't jeopardize me process!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Most Active
Recent Topics