Expected Weight Loss?

Muddymark
on 7/3/11 11:00 pm
While visiting the horrible nutritionist at the Ottawa Weight Management clinic, she told me to expect between 50-60 % of my excess weight.  Is this a reasonable number?  For example, I currently weigh 280 and want to be around 170.  The nutritionist said I would only lose 55-66lbs, which still puts me at really fat....

What is other peoples opinion on this based on personal experience or advice from the dr.?

Karen M.
on 7/3/11 11:09 pm - Mississauga, Canada
I believe the number she quoted you is what they consider a "successful" weight loss, statistically speaking for their own records/measurements.  Having lost 100% of my excess weight, I don't hold a lot of support for their estimates.  It is completely possible (and likely) that you will lose much more than they quote. 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/11 11:10 pm - Canada
My surgeon and dietician both said 70% of my excess weight is what I can expect to lose.  I think they low-ball it on purpose.  My surgeon told me people go in with really unrealistic expectations of how much they'll lose and they want to make sure people understand that they may not lose ALL of their excess weight. 

My starting weight is 353 - 70% of my excess weight is 140lbs.  That still keeps me at 213lbs - and still with an obese BMI but I'd be happy with that.  Last time I weighed that was in high school - 21 years ago. 

Now...all that said...there are people on here who have gone well below that 55-70% mark and are at a normal weight range. 
Leslie W.
on 7/3/11 11:12 pm - Cobourg, Canada
I am still pre op but my understanding is that everyone is different. I have met others who have lost  > 120 lbs in 8 months who started around the same wait. When I met with the NP and SW neither thought my goal of 150 was unreasonable and I am now 260 pre op

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Mike Terry
on 7/3/11 11:12 pm - Staffa, Canada
 It is really a hard question to answer because the individual body reacts so differently for everyone. I would "think" you could achieve any reasonable goal you set if you use your tool as directed. Me having a sleeve instead of a reattachment, I was told there was a chance that I wouldn't get the results or as good of results as someone who got a RNY. I achieved my goal weeks ago, and I heep losing 2 to 6 pounds a week. I'm to the point where I'm starting to wonder if I should stop losing.

Radiogirl39
on 7/4/11 12:02 am - Canada
I got the same #'s but have yet to see someone on OH that hasn't  gotten really close, met or even surpassed their goal weight.  I panicked at first thinking 'Why am I putting myself throught this to be merely really fat?!" Lol! 
Mary A.
on 7/4/11 4:52 am
On July 4, 2011 at 7:02 AM Pacific Time, Radiogirl39 wrote:
I got the same #'s but have yet to see someone on OH that hasn't  gotten really close, met or even surpassed their goal weight.  I panicked at first thinking 'Why am I putting myself throught this to be merely really fat?!" Lol! 
I didn't reach my "goal"...however my outlook was...if I came withing 20lbs (which I did) I would rather stay at the 20lbs more than lose that 20lbs and possibly regain it...if that makes sense.

I am happy with my 114lb weighloss...and have been maintaining that within 5-8lb fluctuation....for the last 1.5 years

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/4/11 12:23 am - Windsor, Canada
They are being conservative. Some People wont exercise or make good food choices after surgery. That number is usually for the people that do minimal work as they will get minimal results. Embrace your new lifestyle, eat lower carb and less processed food and exercise and you can do better. It is really uP to you!

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics