Have a friend is pissed.....

Tracey P.
on 7/21/11 2:32 pm - Canada
My friend when to see the plastic surgeon about removing the excess skin. My friend has lost just under 200lbs. The surgeon called she didn't qualifier for the surgery. Pkease help if anyone knows what her next steep will be. Thank you life long friend. Let's just say she is very upset.

Tracey

JJ_
on 7/21/11 6:44 pm
What did you mean that she didn`t qualify for plastic surgery?  Was it that her weight isn`t stable?  Was she expecting OHIP to cover the cost?  What is the issue?

Many questions...
Bonnie ABC
on 7/21/11 7:25 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
It's not a given cause you lose so much weight you qualify.  I tell people to save up, that way you get all the things done besides just skin removal.  Going into debt is an option.

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
MS Miller
on 7/21/11 9:59 pm - Nepean, Canada
Hi Bonnie,

I was wondering what kind of money should we look at saving up for plastics? How did Mexico go and was it cheaper.

Sue

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
Bonnie ABC
on 7/21/11 10:46 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
It wasn't just the cheaper part of the story.  It was the experience.  I wanted someone who knew what the heck to do with our damaged skin.  Dr. Sauceda knows what to do.  He does many many OH clients, and others, but the OH ones are the ones I hear stories from.   A few canadians have gone to him over the last few months.  The price was right though too, don't get me wrong. I had lost a lot of weight and needed some major repair.   I had an very large anchor tummy tuck, breast reduction with gummy bear implants, and a neck lift.  My cost was $11,400.   He gives you a $600 credit for airfare if you're spending over $7,000.  My flight cost me $850 or so flying out of Ottawa.   Also your implants are included in that price.  You stay at a Hampton Inn by Hilton Monterrey
hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml
for two weeks.   This is also included in the price.  Two sets of compression garments are also included.  No extra clinic costs.  You stay in the clinic for 2 or 3 days, then back to the hotel.  Dr. Sauceda checks with you usually in the evenings.  His dear nurse Patty comes in every morning to help you shower, dress your incisions and get you dressed.  You spend the day relaxing by the pool, walking over to the hall directly behind the hotel, at Starbucks, or just resting in your room.  Large buffet breakfasts are at the hotel, and you can usually score enough for lunch and there is an applebees and mcdonalds and Italian place right beside the hotel.   A driver will pick you up at the airport and drop you off after wards.  The hotel has security guards and so does the mall.  Very safe.  I went alone with no issues.
I would do it again in a heart beat.  It was a great experience.  The other thing I should mention is that he doesn't use general for his anesthetic.  He uses twilight and epidural.  You feel nothing, and he can keep you out longer, hence my 13 hour surgery.  You wake as if from a nap.  The pan is managed quite well too.  I went on a 2 mile cave walk a week out.. mind you when I got all the way in I didn't want to see another set of stairs again, but the pain was okay. 
He will be in New York City in a week or so doing supper and consults.   And he has a page on here.

www.obesityhelp.com/group/Dr_Sauceda_Patients/discussion/

I should include the fact I did have complications.   After five weeks I pulled my drain after a seroma popped, but instead fluid filled my incision lines.   I flew back to Monterrey to have it repaired at his cost, everything. I am the only patient that had to go back in the whole time I've been on here.   He is my hero.

Bonnie

Kim O.
on 7/21/11 9:45 pm - Windsor, Canada
I went for a massage the other day, and the RMT told me she had a lot of friends who had the surgery. I asked about excess skin, and surgery. She said one friend went from a sizes 5x to a 1x, and was denied surgery. The reason was that her "apron" was not a certain length (stomach skin that hangs). She had documented proof of rashes and irritation, but because her hanging skin did not meet their criteria, she was denied....
referred:  Jan 2011   rec'd letter from WRH:  June 6, 2011   orientation:  July 14, 2011           SurgEd:  July 5/12     Meet the Surg.  Aug 9/12     Surgery Sept 7/12

Bonnie ABC
on 7/21/11 10:21 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
Exactly what I'm saying.  No one is entitled to wls or plastics.  You must fit a criteria.  If you are denied, then it's self pay. 

Bonnie

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 11:47 pm - Guelph, Canada
 do you know what the length is for the surgery to be covered?
J_J
on 7/22/11 12:41 am - Barrie, Canada
I have heard that the excess skin has to hang below the pubic bone.

Tracey P.
on 7/22/11 12:23 am - Canada
Thanks everyone.
They did tell her that the length of the excess skin was not long enough and there was no irritation on the under-side of the skin. I will have to tell her to look into self-paying. Thanks

Tracey

Most Active
Recent Topics