Swollen Ankles?

J_J
on 8/3/11 10:11 pm - Barrie, Canada
Hi all,

I used to get swollen ankles all the time before I lost my weight...but haven't had them for almost a year.  Then on the weekend I get a sun burn on my lower legs and now they are swelling again.  Does anyone know if a sun burn could cause this?  Is this something I should be worried about?  Note: the swelling goes away over night.

I do drink plenty of water - 2500ml minimum a day...and I do try to limit my sodium intake.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,
Jackie

Karen M.
on 8/3/11 10:45 pm - Mississauga, Canada
The sun burn could have triggered something I'm sure.  You may have gotten a tiny bit dehydrated out in the sun and your body is taking a little while to get "caught up".  Keep on with your fluid intake and monitor would be my advice.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

J_J
on 8/3/11 10:54 pm - Barrie, Canada
Thanks...I was starting to get a little worried because it's been 4 days now.  I will monitor and if it hasn't stopped by Monday I'll book an appointment with my doctor.

Monica M.
on 8/3/11 11:55 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
yes, sunburns can totally cause swelling. Remember that sunburns are burns. With burns comes inflammation (swelling).

I wouldnt worry about it too much, since it does go away at night. Try to rest and elevate them as much as you can. Continue to get adequate fluids. Cool cloths can also reduce the swelling. No restrictive clothing. You know the drill, i'm sure.

J_J
on 8/3/11 11:58 pm - Barrie, Canada
Thank you...I feel much better now .  I'm sure the problem will go away once the burn heals...I was so stupid to let myself burn!!  But it was raining in the morning when I headed out and as I was in a hurry I forgot to grab the sunscreen...then of course the sun came out and wham!! Won't happen again!!

Mary A.
on 8/4/11 4:20 am
remember elevating your legs when you are sitting or lying down may help reduce swelling also..I know it's good for the heart also...

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

J_J
on 8/4/11 8:35 pm - Barrie, Canada
Thanks Mary...I put them up last night and so far no swelling this morning!!  Happy day!!

Most Active
Recent Topics