always hungry and eating too much

melissac1981
on 8/11/11 10:49 am - Canada
Ok so i am 5 weeks post op. i find myself hungry all the time. I read on this forum daily and have not seen anyone eat as much as i do at only 5 weeks post op. for example, here is what i ate today.

1/4 of toast with light cheese whiz
2 soda crackers with light sliced cheese
1 small whole wheat wrap with deli shaved turkey, lettuce and cheese
beef stew( 6 pieces carrots, 2 pieces of potatoe, 1 piece beef) small cubed sizes
2 crackers with cheese
1 large strawberry.

does this seem like alot??!!

honest opionions please!!

JJ_
on 8/11/11 11:02 am, edited 8/11/11 11:02 am
It is not a lot....but what I have noticed is carbs at each meal or snack.

Carbs can breed feelings of hunger.  Were you told to eat protein first, then complex carbs like veggies next?  How much protein are you eating each day??

Lots of questions...

Judy
liza ..
on 8/11/11 11:02 am - Canada
Just by looking at the foods you are eating it seems that you may not be eating enough protein.
I'd cut out the crackers/wraps and bump up the protein...Some suggestions: Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Any low fat non-processed cheese, tuna, eggs, soy beans (edamame, a protein shake, etc.
melissac1981
on 8/11/11 11:07 am - Canada
melissac1981
on 8/11/11 11:09 am - Canada
i am not getting as much protein as i should. i dread drinking the protein shakes. most of the time to be honest, they make me vomit..so i don't drink as many as i should.
could anyone recommend a good tasting protein shake??

i will definitly be eating more protein foods.

will that cut my hunger??

thanks for the advice ladies..it is much apprieciated!

liza ..
on 8/11/11 11:16 am - Canada
i didn't last long with protein shakes either, but I made them so the taste of the protein powder would be masked - my secret was adding a few blueberries and teaspoon of green tea powder (matcha).  most people on the board enjoy the premade protein shakes from costco - have you given that a try?

adding more protein will definitely supress your hungry. get rid of the crackers for a little while..your pouch will be thankful!
Monica M.
on 8/11/11 12:04 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
if you're getting enough protein in with food, you don't need the shakes. track your food with a program like myplate on livestrong.com, or with the tracking tool on here. that way you know just what you're getting.

Protein keeps you full longer

at five weeks out, tho, you may not be feeling real hunger.

Megan M.
on 8/11/11 11:01 pm - Canada
I have a hard time with the shakes as well.  I switched to a GNC product called Whey Kool - it's mango-peach flavoured, and is mixed with water, so it's thinner and much easier to get down.  It has 21 grams per scoop, and I really look forward to having it.  At GNC, if you don't like it you can return it for a full refund.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

JJ_
on 8/11/11 11:19 am
I hear that most folks like the Premier Protein shakes available in the pharmacy at Costco.  They are premade and ready to drink (chocolate only in Canada)

Protein does stave off hunger.  It also:

Protein has a range of essential functions in the body, including the following:

• Required for building and repair of body tissues (including muscle)
  • Enzymes, hormones, and many immune molecules are proteins
  • Essential body processes such as water balancing, nutrient transport, and muscle contractions require protein to function.
  • Protein is a source of energy.
  • Protein helps keep skin, hair, and nails healthy.
  • Protein, like most other essential nutrients, is absolutely crucial for overall good health.

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/science/medical/articles/6050.aspx# ixzz1Um0CSWI2
birdiegirl
on 8/11/11 11:22 am
You dont have to drink protein shakes to get all your protein in - they are just an easy way of getting 30 or so grams in with low carbs and calories

However - they are not filling

Try some dense protein - like grilled chicken - steak - salmon - tuna salad

Cut the crackers and toast - it wont fill you up

Good luck

Barb

Most Active
Recent Topics