Embarrassed to be with me

Moselle
on 8/30/11 3:35 am - Athens, Canada
As it's been said many times; kids say the darnest things. I agree with the other posters; all kids go through a phase when they don't want anything to do with their parents regardless of their appearance. I'm sure it must have really hurt though, I'd still be in tears.

I think that the doubts and fears are normal for everyone as we approached surgery. All I can say is that it's an amazing tool, a remarkable journey and with some determination you can be hugely successful.  I love my RNY and my only regret is that I waited so long to have it!

Big hugs.

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

gigglesAlot
on 8/30/11 3:36 am
Oh Dear. . . .that's a tough one!  Please use this opportunity to talk to your son about the hurt and pain (physically and emotionally) that goes along with being heavy . . . .there's a lesson to be taught here.  Good Luck!  Parenting is hard and it doesn't come with a manual so do/say whatever your heart tells you to.

P.S. I do not have any regrets about my WLS. . . . it has given me many joys.

Barb
Out of HEARTACHE . . . . comes JOY!!!    
Referring Weight - 256lbs
Dietician Weight In - 253lbs
Starting Optifast Weight - 250lbs
Surgery Day Weight - 240lbs
Current Weight - 171 lbs

My Angel with Wings. . . and My Earth Angel . . . .is Sandi, who's. . . . . .going2Bthin!! 
mom4life
on 8/30/11 3:39 am - Port Rowan, Canada
Sorry...

I know the opposite side of that coin too.  I have been the one thinking I didn't want to go an event, for example to my husband's formal Christmas party because I was convinced that he would be embarassed by my weight.  He always said the perfect thing, and asked me why he would be embarassed, because I was the most beautiful woman in the room.  Have I mentioned how special he is?  Anyway, even when people didn't say it to me, I felt that they were thinking it...and even that hurts without hearing it.

It's perfectly normal to have the doubts, but almost every single person that does it only regrets not doing it sooner...just ask them!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
  but anyone can start today and make a new ending.? ~Maria Robinson

HW:  292 lbs          SW:  226 lbs        Clinic's GW:  160 lbs          My GW: 145 lbs

jdance
on 8/30/11 5:58 am - Canada
Ouch is right,
My son never said anything to me, but I was always embarassed for him when i met his friends or teachers. Overcompensated by being so friendly and outgoing. But i was so embarassed.

that's tough love, but out of the mouths of babes.

YOU WILL SUCCEED. and your son will be very proud of you.

It was a good decision maker for you.

Best of luck on your journey

J

Linda G.
on 8/30/11 6:40 am - Canada
At least you can excuse your son at 10 years of age.  My father would introduce me to a friend of his, whom I had never met, as his daughter....then he would say I have 3 daughters, small, medium and large.  Guess which one I was?  Nice, uh?
Linda G
TraceyM45
on 8/30/11 7:53 am
Mark,

If that one comment commits you to a better and healthier lifestyle it will be worth the little bit of hurt.  Years ago my youngest daughter and I were shopping together and she looked at me and asked me to suck in my tummy she was embarassed (she was 6).  I was hurt and embarassed and have never felt comfortable around her again(she is tall and thin).  The tummy was 100lbs ago and the result of 3 kids.  I let that comment and others of a similar nature from my exhusband and strangers blast away at my self confidence till I could barely leave the house. Soon I will be having the surgery like you and I will never look back. 

You are strong and you can do this, we will be there to support you and celebrate your victories.  Include your son in your lifestyle changes with exercise and he will respect you and your efforts.

All the best,

Tracey

StevesGal
on 8/30/11 8:51 am - Hamilton, Canada
I know it must have been painful to hear, but sometimes that's the final straw we need to be motivated.  Take those words as a springboard to be a healthier you ... for yourself and your family.

I guess I'm lucky.  My kids are never embarrassed to be seen with myself or my husband (and I'm bigger than he is).  I've always worked in the schools as a parent helper, so all the kids know me as I am ... or I should say, WAS.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Most Active
Recent Topics