Embarrassed to be with me

Muddymark
on 8/30/11 2:25 am
 Well, I am one month now to the sugery and was having doubts about whether or not this is the right option.  What if I fail?  Can I do it?  Is it really necessary?  Then this morning, my son (10 years old) looks at me and asks if I could not stand next to him in the shopping centre because his friends were coming and I embarrass him.  I asked , what do you mean?  And he replied, you know, it is because you are so fat.  

This is reason enough.  
What is I fail?  I won't.
Can it do it?  I don't have any other choice.
Is it really necessary?  It is necessary for myself and my kids.

Karen M.
on 8/30/11 2:31 am - Mississauga, Canada
Ouch. 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

NervousNelly57
on 8/30/11 2:38 am - Guelph, Canada
If it's any consolation, Muddymark, most kids around that age would prefer their friends think they don't have any parents, no matter what they look like!

Both my husband (thin) and I (nothing-like-thin) have been asked by our kids to pretend we don't know them in the mall in case one of their friends from school walk by.

And the good news is that they do grow out of it.  My kids are a few years older and they will even hug me in public if I want; yes, even my son!

Good luck with your resolve anyway, though!

Sharon

Carole1974
on 8/30/11 2:44 am - Welland, Canada
For my opinion my mom was skinny and pretty and I was still embarrassed to be seen with her I think that all kids go through a phase where they just don't want to be seen with parents no matter how they look. If you were not on the heavy side he would of thought of something else to say. I know it must of been very hurt full coming from your son. Keep your head up you are well on your way to take the beautiful journey .
You will not fail you will succeed

St Joes Hamilton Ref Sent 01/20/11 Surgery 08/23/11 with Dr.Gmora. My  Tanya T

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 3:01 am - Vaughan, Canada
First off big hugs!

No matter how old your kids are, you never want to hear those words.  It hurts.  But remember, he's only 10 and again, what kid wants to be seen with their mom.

Anyway, just think how much more prouder he'll be when you finish this journey.  You are going to do this not only for yourself but for him.

My kids have never expressed any embarrassment but now they are so much happier that I can do so much more things with them that I couldn't before.  Rides at Wonderland, bIke riding, running and playing soccer.  You are doing the right thing and I promise there will be no regrets.
(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 3:02 am - Canada
My mom refused to introduce me to people because she was embarrassed by my weight. It hurt. It still does. I had the surgery for me and to finally put me first. No matter who tells you they're embarrassed by your weight, it hurts.

You're doing the right thing. Not for your kids but for YOU.
sam1am
on 8/30/11 3:06 am
  You will love your surgery!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Connie W.
on 8/30/11 3:08 am - Canada
That must have hurt.......I got tears just reading it. I have been going through the same "jitters" I know this is best for me and my health. I hope your jitters settle soon!
Surgery on September 6th, 2011 Dr Hong,  St Joe's Hamilton My angel  is "Bogie"

laura S.
on 8/30/11 3:09 am - London, Canada
*hugs*  I know that hurts 

Laura

magpie4495
on 8/30/11 3:33 am - Canada
I fear the same thing happening to me some day. My son is too small to notice or think of such things but it is definitely something in the back of my mind.  I am having this surgery so that I can be the best Mom I imagine being whi*****ludes playing on the floor with cars and chasing him around the yard or teaching him how to swim.  Stay strong, do your research and you will make the best decision for you.  Often the hardest things to do are the right things to do.
Best
HW: 260lbs  Pre-Optifast: 257lbs  SW: 242lbs  Happy: 150lbs SG: tbd 

Referral: January 2011, Orientation: July 8/11, Nut/Behav: Aug 22/11 Education Class: Nov 2/11 
Surgeon Appt: Nov 1/11, Surgery: Dec 5     

Most Active
Recent Topics