Depression ??

Radiogirl39
on 9/5/11 11:28 pm - Canada
Ok, pretty sure I'm depressed.  Always assumed it was situational and/or related to my weight and how I feel because of it.  Now I'm not sure and concerned I will be a little worse off after surgery instead of better.  Do I say something to my doctor now?  Will they hold off on my suregery if I do?  Do I see how I feel after?

I'm sure not everyone will want to discuss it, but are there many WLS'ers out there on meds post surgery?

Thanks
Julie

StevesGal
on 9/5/11 11:42 pm - Hamilton, Canada
Obesity almost goes hand in hand with depression.  Whether it's depression leads to obesity, or obesity leads to depression, I don't know.  I do know that I was diagnosed as severely depressed several years ago (and had been so for a very long time), even though I didn't feel 'severely' depressed.  If you think you are, then you definitely need to seek help.  

It may or may not cause a delay in your surgery, but that's up to the doctor.  Either way, you need to get it under control, because WLS will not resolve it.

After trying several different meds, I've been taking Cipralex for a couple of years, and still do.  It works great for me. 

Go see your GP and start there.  He/She may be able to refer you to a psychologist.  Better to get a head start before seeing the SW.

Good luck.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Monica M.
on 9/5/11 11:44 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
Hey Julie
I was depressed for years. It started with a vengeance after my father passed away, and just kept getting worse, due to my weight, life stressors, etc. I went to my family doctor and got started on medication which helped immensely. I was able to participate in life again, which was awesome. Before i had surgery, i spoke with my GP about stopping my antidepressants after surgery, because i too, felt like my weight was causing a big part of my depression. In the summer, i ended up being able to discontinue my meds under her supervision. I still feel awesome.

Whether or not to start on medications now is a difficult question to answer. Some people become quite depressed after surgery. They may have unrealistic expectations (my life will be perfect once i'm skinny!!!!), or just the fluctuations in your body chemistry might cause your emotions to be all out of whack.

If you're not emotionally healthy, they MAY hold off on your surgery. You need to be in the best shape you can be, emotionally. This is a huge life change, and you need to be ready for it.

You need to be honest with yourself, and talk to someone you can trust about this. If you don't want to be completely honest with your bariatric team about your depression, because you're worried that they'll delay your surgery, then talk to a therapist about your concerns. They can't share information with other caregivers unless you give permission.

If you are feeling suicidal at all, you need to be on meds. End of story. Even if it delays your surgery, it could save your life.

I hope this helps. Depression is a nasty animal. I hope that your course goes similar to mine, and once you have surgery you'll get your life back.

((hugs))

Mariann M.
on 9/5/11 11:46 pm - Washago , Canada
I have been dealing with depression on and off for many years, I was on Cymbalta before, during and after my surgery and there was no issue with me being on it and having surgery.
If you feel that things are just not right then I would suggest that you do seek medical help for it, I know from my own experiance that, had I not looked for help, it would have been a really bad thing. These days there is so much awareness out there regarding depression, it is no longer looked down upon and people are there to help. 
I am on meds for my Lupus and Fibro now, but I think I may have to go back on depression meds, I am just trying to see if my mood has been down because of all the hormone changes post baby, my dughter is three and a half months now.
Wishing you the best of Luck !!!!      

Gabygee
on 9/6/11 12:53 am - Canada
I just want to applaud the three of you for speaking so clearly and openly about your depressions.
(I was lucky, and with general psychotherapy was able to discontinue the meds very quickly - so I have nothing useful to add.)

But you're a lot braver than many people would give credit for, dealing with these additional issues.
It's so tough.

JJ_
on 9/6/11 1:02 am, edited 9/6/11 1:31 am
Please seek help for depression.  There is a chemical imbalance that needs to be rectified. 

I had suffered from major depression and was on medication from 1996 to 2003.  I have been stable since then and am constantly monitoring my mental state.  I know what the signs are and would definitely seek help if there were issues.

Good luck in your journey.

Judy

Edited to add:   WLS is only one aspect to improving your health.  Mental health is also important!
joanne_1970
on 9/6/11 1:06 am - Harriston, Canada
6 or 7 years ago when I decided to quit smoking my doctor prescribed Wellbutrin (antidepressant) since my drug coverage didn't cover Zyban.  After I stopped smoking I went off the drug and felt horrible so I went back and the doctor felt that I was depressed and once I was on the drug got used to feeling better so when I went off I noticed a big change so back on I went.
Last year I decided on my own that I was feeling better and maybe I could get off the drug before starting this surgery process so I went off and 3 weeks later my dad died and I completely broke down in my Doctors office and back on I went.
I had the surgery last week and no problems except switching from the extended release 1 a day to the slower release 2 a day and we will see where we go from there.
I am not a doctor but my way of thinking is you would be better prepaired for this surgery if your being treated for depression then untreated so don't know why that would slow anything down.  Your just taking another step to look after yourself.
My thoughts anyway.

Monica M.
on 9/6/11 3:22 am, edited 9/6/11 3:23 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
you should NEVER decide on your own that you're ready to come of an antidepressant. Always do it under medical supervision.

also, the way it could delay your surgery is that you need to be STABLE, mentally and medically. Being started on medications is not a stable time.

joanne_1970
on 9/6/11 5:44 am - Harriston, Canada
Yes I figured that out when my father was dying and I ended up back in her office.  I know better too as I have worked in the field for years.

Monica M.
on 9/6/11 5:53 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
oh we always think we know better. I've worked in psych for 23 years. I have a friend who diagnosed herself with anxiety, who actually had extremely high blood pressure for probably about a year. we can be our own worst enemy. Sometimes we should sit back and think "what would i tell a patient of mine, who came to me with this ****amamie idea?"

Most Active
Recent Topics