Time off

Lindsay M.
on 9/9/11 12:47 pm - Canada
Hey all,

As my last few pre-surgery appointments are approaching i need to figure out a timeline. I was wondering how much time you guys took off for work or school. I am currently going to university and need to figure out how much time i need to get accomodated for. Also after 1 week- were you able to walk without pain, and were you off pain meds?

Thanks!

-
Referral sent to TWH- Feb 16,2011. Orientation July 12, 2011@ TWH  Nurse Practitioner- Aug 10

Sleep Study- Aug 17 Social Worker- Aug 19.  Nutrition Class- Aug 23   Psychologist-Sept 12   
            Nurtitionist- Sept 14    Surgeon Appt- October 18, 2011  Pre Op- November 3, 2011
                       Surgery
- November 16, 2011        Mollyandboo (Sherri)

Pre-Optifast Weight- 370  CW- 258.4 GW- 190

JennR
on 9/9/11 12:53 pm
I've asked the same question and gotten a variety of answers. Some people are back to work in a week, others need a month to really recover, some even like 6 to 8 weeks. It sounds like 6 weeks is what is generally recommended but it is really going to depend on you. If you are going to school and not doing a physical job you could probably go back sooner.

sam1am
on 9/9/11 12:55 pm
Hi there,

I took 1 week off exactly.  I wasn't on any pain meds after I left the hospital on day 2.  I have  a desk job that is not physical and I had a very easy recovery.  Your mileage may vary!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Donnaslifepart2
on 9/9/11 2:13 pm - Canada
I took 1 month off work and then went back to modified duties for 1 month.  My job is very physical so I had a buddy to do any lifting over 15 lbs.
joanne_1970
on 9/9/11 2:40 pm - Harriston, Canada
In Guelph Dr Reed sends you back to work the third monday after surgery.  He knew I worked in a group home and had alot of heavy lifting and he said it was no problem, we will see as Im due to go back on the 26th.
I was not on pain meds after leaving the hospital and have felt just fine.  No problems moving around or doing anything I could do pre-surgery.

Joanne

Sher1ock
on 9/9/11 3:11 pm - Canada
 I was off meds within a few days of being home and didn't have a lot of pain.  I was off work a month, but from a pain/meds point of view, could have gone bacl earlier.  What has been more difficult however, is accommodating the fact that although I feel great, I run out of gas, so to speak.  When I get tired, I get very tired.  The other difficulty is I am having is settling into routine with having to fit in all meals, snacks, vitamins etc. when I don't feel like eating at all, and still having that work with my work schedule.  If you have some downtime between classes and a bit of flexibility in your schedule to make allowances for how you are feeling, you should be ok to go back fairly soon after surgery.  Just remember that it might use up ALL your energy.  Don't necessarily expect to also be able to do everything else as well.

NurseTammy
on 9/9/11 7:19 pm - Hamilton, Canada
I had my surgery on July 26th, and have not returned to work yet.  I see my Family GP on Thursday for a return to work plan that will include modified duties.  I would have gone through the clinic, but there are never any docs to sign the paper work.  My family GP is awesome. 

I work in Mental Health, on an acute intake unit.  There is no way I am getting hurt this soon after surgery, so I am taking as much time that will make me comfortable enough to go back to work.  12 hour shifts and nights are very hard on the body, so I want to be in the best shape possible.  I have been going to the gym 3 days a week and working out every day just to get prepared.

It is all based on the person.
Tammy
328 - Highest Weight
305 - Surgery Weight- July 26th, 2011

ima_totalgeek
on 9/9/11 8:30 pm
It will really depend on how you recover - I took 4 weeks off - but I was feeling ok after about 1 week. After the first week I no longer needed pain meds.  I used the rest of the time to get used to the new eating plan - however - I had paid time from work so I didn't have to worry. 

I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Karen W.
on 9/9/11 10:39 pm - Canada
Hi.  I was off pain meds within the week.  Ottawa gives everyone 4 weeks off.  I found that I was exhausted for quite a while, and actually tried to get in a quick nap at lunch time for the first 2-3 weeks back. Once I was able to increase my caloric intake, my energy level got much better.

RNY April 11, 2011       

Susanne S.
on 9/9/11 11:35 pm, edited 9/9/11 11:36 pm - London, Canada
I was told at orientation 4-6 weeks. My surgeon only gave me 3 weeks off, I took 4 tho. I wanted to be eating regular food before I went back to work. Just to know I could tolerate it etc.... I go back on Monday.

Most Active
Recent Topics