What vitamins are you post-op people taking?

Lindsay M.
on 10/12/11 3:31 pm - Canada

Hey all!

I want to get a sense of what vitamins everyone is taking. I want to get an idea of which vitamins i can pick from. As far as i know i know the vitamin has to be a multi-vitamin with minerals plus calcium with vit. d. and b 12.

Could you guys please tell me what brand you are using and if you like them?

Thanks everyone! :)

-
Referral sent to TWH- Feb 16,2011. Orientation July 12, 2011@ TWH  Nurse Practitioner- Aug 10

Sleep Study- Aug 17 Social Worker- Aug 19.  Nutrition Class- Aug 23   Psychologist-Sept 12   
            Nurtitionist- Sept 14    Surgeon Appt- October 18, 2011  Pre Op- November 3, 2011
                       Surgery
- November 16, 2011        Mollyandboo (Sherri)

Pre-Optifast Weight- 370  CW- 258.4 GW- 190

stewartjackie
on 10/12/11 4:57 pm - Pickering, Canada
I had my surgery in Guelph and they recommend a pre-natal vitamin and sub-lingual B12. I already took vitamin d and that is to continue.
I bought the Costco pre-natal vitamin, the cost was great, about $8. for 270 pills. I have to break them in half, but not a problem at all. The b12, I bought the generic Rexall brand and they are grape flavoured and dissolve under the tongue. And my vit d are the generic brand and they are tiny so I have no problem with them at all.
I know different centres recommend different things, but I'm very happy with the low cost and ease to take, of mine.
Good luck,
Jackie

Monica M.
on 10/12/11 8:41 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
your multivitamin should have an adeqate amount of iron with it. You can't take calcium at the same time as your multivitamin, the iron won't be absorbed.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Brandwise, as long as they've got adequate amts of the required supplements, it doesnt' matter.

calcium should be calcium citrate.

Mary A.
on 10/12/11 11:17 pm
On October 13, 2011 at 3:41 AM Pacific Time, Monica M. wrote:
your multivitamin should have an adeqate amount of iron with it. You can't take calcium at the same time as your multivitamin, the iron won't be absorbed.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Brandwise, as long as they've got adequate amts of the required supplements, it doesnt' matter.

calcium should be calcium citrate.

(the word adequate caught my attention)

I would just like to add to the comment above that although multivitamins do contain Iron, for some people the amount is NOT enough and an iron supplement in addition to the muti-vitamin is necessary.

Just as we all lost weight at different rates, so are the needs of how much Iron we need.

The NEED/amount is unique to each individual..and only a full blood panel will tell if you are adequately getting the amount you need

...after surgery it takes at least 4-6 months to get an adequate reading of levels..becaus ethe body is making adjustments...after several blood tests I am sur eyour doctor will adjust and make any recommendaitons for vitamins etc that you may be lacking or in some cases have too much of.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Monica M.
on 10/12/11 11:29 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
oh absolutely, i totally agree with all you said. Many people either take the Bariatric multivitamin, or a prenatal vitamin, which contains more iron.

Your centre will always do bloodwork and make adjustments to your vitamins as necessary.

adequate is a relative term, and therefore means something slightly different for each person.

Mary A.
on 10/12/11 10:54 pm, edited 10/12/11 11:18 pm
I take Bariatric Advantage Chewable Multi Vitamins

when I had my surgery almost 3 years ago they stressed the importance of a Bariatric formulated vitamin and they really dissuaded people from using over the counter multi vitamins.

...but I have read on here many people who have had surgeries in Ontario where the surgeon/team said take an over the counter.

I also take calcium citrate(Webber) in a capsule form

my iron has ALWAYS been low
...and I have now switched to my 4th type which is Ferrotin, I take 3 of those/day.

I also take liquid concentrated Vitamin D 1,000 (Bio-D-Emulsion) from Biotics Research Corp.

Your team/surgeon/nut should provide you with all the specific of what their center/tea, wants you to take...

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Karen M.
on 10/12/11 11:03 pm, edited 10/12/11 11:04 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Calcium citrate - Citrical petites
Iron - Proferrin
Multi - Centrum chewable
B12 - I get a shot each month
Vitamin C - helps to absorb the iron - Jamieson chewable
Vitamin D - Swiss Formula chewable

There's really no need to get a "bariatric formula" of any vitamins - all pharmacies carry good quality products.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Cyndylw
on 10/13/11 1:14 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Mulits - Spectrum 22 (Shoppers)
B12 - Webber sublingual
Calcium - Still looking for a good brand
Vit D is usually in with my calcium

Karen where do you find the citrical petites.... I looked at shoppers where I thought I had seen them before but no.

Referal sent August 2009 - Referred to Ottawa - January 2010 - Surgery - July 29th 2011!!!!    
Karen M.
on 10/13/11 1:21 am - Mississauga, Canada
I got them at Shopper's the last time, but I've also gotten them from the pharmacy at Metro (I think).

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

GD6
on 10/13/11 12:07 am - Hamilton, Canada
Calcium CITRATE - Bariatric Advantage
Multi - Jamieson Vita Vim Chewable
B100 Complex - Jamieson 
Vitamin C - Jamieson Chewable
Vitamin D - Jamieson Chewable & Soft Chews
Iron - Ferramax
B12 - Cherry Sublinguals from Walmart in the US

I have also used Celebrate Calcet Creamy bites (Citrate) in the past just because they are so yummy!  :0)
Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

Most Active
Recent Topics