H. peroli roadblock to surgery ????

derkatmomma
on 10/26/11 12:36 pm - Canada
Hi everyone,

I posted that I have my surgery date as December 12 and had only one internist and 1 surgical appt to go...

Not so fast apparently, the internist now wants to send me for sleep study and tells me I have a stomach infection that needs to be cleared up before surgery...   I need to see him again on Nov 30.

I am currently on an acid blocker to heal stomach and 2 antibiotics... plus acidophillus to replace good bacteria.  Yeah that is right .... 5 pills in am and 5 more in pm not including regular medication for a week... plus I may need 2 or more treatments.

Apparently over 50% of people carry it but only activated in some people.  Does anyone else have experience with this and if so how long does it take to work???

I feel like I am so close I could touch it and now this!!!    

I am trying to stay positive that everything will be okay but need to get it off my chest.

thanks for taking the time to read it.
Rhonda
Manda M.
on 10/26/11 1:22 pm
I had it. I took meds for a week than a month later a breath test to see if it cleared. Some people have 1 week of antibiotics some have 2 weeks.
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

Allaryanna
on 10/26/11 4:03 pm - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
 I am not is your position.  But I feel for you.

Hang in there, remember it can be cleared up, and it is not a road block, just a small hurdle.

You will get through this and off to surgery.

Stay positive.  Remember you have been strong enough to come this far it's just a little further to the goal.   

Di

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/11 4:06 pm - Canada
What is H. Peroli?

Did you mean H. Pylori?
derkatmomma
on 10/27/11 1:09 pm - Canada
yes sorry for the misspelling but was a little upset at time
(deactivated member)
on 10/26/11 10:51 pm - Canada
H. Pylori is a virus that is resident in 50% of the human population.

When given the chance - it burrows into the stomach lining, creates a weakness, which leads to acid erosion and eventually a bleeding ulcer.

You WANT this treated prior to your surgery!  I had it after my RNY and spent longer in the hospital for treating the bleeding ulcer than I did for my surgery.  I also teetered on the brink of needing a blood transfusion because I was bleeding so much...

It is usually a week of two separate antibiotics.  Followed by a breath test or a gastroscopy.

The key is that the antibiotics are murder on the stomach when you're healthy with a full stomach.  Post RNY, I was in rough shape and on two separate antacids and Gas-X just to keep going.

So yes it's a roadblock, but much required one.  Nearly bleeding to death because of an ulcer is NOT fun and the treatment is hard enough with a whole healthy stomach!
tresor
on 10/26/11 11:12 pm
 I feel for you because I am where you are.  I only have the surgeon appt left to go to but because I tested positive for H pylori and did a week of antibiotics a little while back then went for a breath test.  I  was so sure that I was the end of it .  Well hang on,  the breath test came back as positive for H pylori again.  I am presently taking another round of antibiotics but for two weeks this time.  I have another breath test booked for Dec. 13th.  It is very frustrating because I feel that this is really pushing me back.  Oh well!!! I did not get this way overnight and therefor I must be patient and know my turn will come.  Goodl luck with your treatment

Brenda T.
on 10/26/11 11:13 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Sounds like it can be cleared up before Dec 12.... but I would wonder about the sleep study being done in time, especially if you have sleep apnea.....

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

derkatmomma
on 10/27/11 1:12 pm - Canada
my sleep study is booked for Nov 7 not too worried
my tiredness is due to waking up in pain from lying in one position too long (car accident jan 10) not sleep apnea.

keeping my fingers crossed it is nothing worse.
Megan M.
on 10/27/11 12:28 am - Canada
I had it - took 3 antibiotics for a week, then had to have another scope to determined it was gone (some lucky people only do a breath test).  It's a bacteria we all have, but is dormant in most people.  It can lead to ulcers, and that's why the drs want it cleared up before surgery.  The antibiotics should take care of it.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Most Active
Recent Topics