Is VSG available in Ontario

kristirodgers
on 11/8/11 12:00 am - Canada
My friend is seeing her Dr today for a referal anyone know if surgeons are doing VSG in Ontario?  Any other info would be appreciated.
Leslie W.
on 11/8/11 12:05 am - Cobourg, Canada
RNY is the gold standard. If you qualify they will do VSG or for some reason they cannnot do RNY they will do VSG. For example previous surgeries, too much scar tissue, high BMI.

I signed for both when I had my surgery. There are some who did get the RNY but it seems you need to go in prepared with your research as to why you should have a VSG in place of RNY

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
steff1970
on 11/8/11 12:10 am - cambridge , Canada
RNY on 07/09/12
 First  I want to say I am still pre-op, and it is my understanding that VSG is only available in Ontario if you qualify due to having had multiple abdominal surgeries which would probably have resulted in a lot of scar tissue.  It is my belief that sometimes the surgeons have to be inside the body to see if RNY is possible because it is GOLD STANDARD in Ontario.  If RNY cannot be performed safely then VSG is an alternative.  I hope this helps you in some way.

All the best

Stephanie

REFFERAL.....APRIL 2010    ORIENTATION.....JULY 14, 2011       SURGERY.....JULY 9, 2012                            

Karen M.
on 11/8/11 12:19 am - Mississauga, Canada
YES, VSG is available in Ontario. There are several people on this forum who have a VSG and are thrilled with it. :)  Many times, unfortunately, people have to "fight" for their choice of surgery these days.  As others have said, previous abdominal surgeries, scar tissue and adhesions, etc would assist in qualifying.  Additionally, the use of NSAIDS for chronic disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis, would be taken into consideration.

Best wishes to your friend and hi! It's nice to see you! 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Penny85
on 11/8/11 12:52 am - Guelph, Canada
I am pre-op but have my VSG scheduled for December 14th.  So yes, the VSG is being performed in Ontario, but you need to have reasons why the VSG would be better than the RNY.  I went into my surgeons appointment expecting to fight for my choice of the VSG.  My surgeon actually suggested it would be best for me even before I said anything.  Like Karen said there need to be good reason for having the VSG over the RNY (previous abdominal surgeries resulting in scar tissue, needing NSAIDs post-op, other co-morbidities, etc)

Pre-opti-  289 lbs    Surgery-  283.8 lbs    Current-  209 lbs    Surgeons Goal-  180    My Goal-  150 lbs

Referral sent - June 2010          Surgery date - December 14, 2011       Referral to surgery - 18 months

Nancy K.
on 11/8/11 1:34 am - Cornwall, Canada
I too need the same information.

Due to my health problems, my daughter may qualify. I V tech (sudden death syndrome) and my son had a minor coronary when he was in his 20's.

Due to those reason, we think she will be able to get the VSG, plus arthritis, etc, etc and migrain pills she needs to take which are NSAIDS.

What do you guys think.

Thanks,

Nancy

JAN135 & CONNIE - Earthly  Angels 

BMI 71.44 -- Goal BMI 25.5    Old Weight--385    New --349 lbs   Goal weight is 135 

Weight  to lose is   243
Eileen C.
on 11/8/11 7:34 am - Cornwall, Canada
Hijack

Hi Nancy

How have you been, haven't seen you posting lately, hope all is well

We are still having the meetings at Chateau Cornwall in the Chapel, first Monday of the month, if you are still interested in joining us.

Hope all is well with you and your hubby

Take care and hope to see more posting and at support meetings LOL

Eileen 
            my angel is Lisa48                                        
Nancy K.
on 11/8/11 8:04 am - Cornwall, Canada
Hi Eileen,

I'm doing ok, I guess, I'm waiting to see if I'm well enough to have the DS shortly. I now have bronchitis and well the doctors are getting nervous about my lungs..............so I have to undergo more test to see if I can have the DS.

Gagner had me schedualed for Dec, but looks like he pushed me back to Feb and maybe later.

How are you? Please tell everyone I say hello, one of these days I will get out to see you all.

Hugs,
Nancy
  JAN135 & CONNIE - Earthly  Angels 

BMI 71.44 -- Goal BMI 25.5    Old Weight--385    New --349 lbs   Goal weight is 135 

Weight  to lose is   243
PatXYZ
on 11/8/11 2:06 am
Do you know about the new referral process? Your friend has to be referred online to the bariatric registry by her doc and then she will be assigned to an assessment centre who will determine if she is eligible for surgery. VSG is slowly becoming more available again, she just needs a medical reason to rule out the RNY - like a need to take NSAID medication.
JennR
on 11/8/11 3:35 am
I need to take NSAIDS because of migraines and my surgeon was quite amiable to doing VSG, I didn't even really have to put up a big argument over it. I think a lot of the resistance is that they believe RNY is more effective where really the long term weight loss difference statistically has been about 10 to 20 lbs between those who've had RNY vs VSG. For my surgeon as well who trained in the US, they just tell the surgeon what they want and his feeling is that when you know someone who has had that surgery then you want the same thing regardless of whether it is the best for you. I think a lot of surgeons are okay to do it but again be prepared why VSG is the preferred surgery over RNY. I think we should have the choice but it has to be an informed choice.

Most Active
Recent Topics