Larger size stores south of the border

Linda C.
on 11/19/11 4:10 am
My husband and I are heading down to the States tomorrow for a couple of days.  I am still wearing the larger size clothes, but I'm finding myself hiking up my pants constantly.  In my mind this warrants at least one new outfit in an appropriate size. 

We are heading down to the Watertown/Syracuse area, and I would appreciate some names of stores that carry larger sizes. 

Of course we plan on doing some grocery shopping also - I understand the sugar free/fat free selections in the States is quite extensive. 

It has been a long time since we've had a little getaway, and although my husband is not terribly fond of shopping, he is looking forward to a "mini vacation".  Quite a few hotels now have mini fridges and microwaves in them, so staying on track shouldn't be a problem.  My husband does enjoy going out to resaurants, and he has adapted to his role very well... cause 3/4 of my meal will be coming home with me, for him to eat later!

Linda C.
Moselle
on 11/19/11 4:17 am - Athens, Canada
There are a number of good stores that sell both larger and regular sizes. I like Lane Bryant, CJ Banks, Cato, Fashion Bug, Dress Barn and Burlington Coat Factory. Definitely check the sale racks in all of these stores because they usually have some really sweet deals.

If you like crystal light they have several different flavours that we can't get here. Check out the what to buy in the US posts for other ideas.

Have fun and enjoy your shopping. I'm heading south of the border for the American Thanksgiving and Black Friday shopping next weekend.
lexxiblue
on 11/19/11 5:33 am
RNY on 01/11/12
 check out "Avenue"... they have awesome styles and amazing sales!! also Fashion Bug
they both carry sizes 14+
have fun!! you deserve it!
Manda M.
on 11/19/11 7:14 am
On November 19, 2011 at 1:33 PM Pacific Time, lexxiblue wrote:
 check out "Avenue"... they have awesome styles and amazing sales!! also Fashion Bug
they both carry sizes 14+
have fun!! you deserve it!
I love Avenue!
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

GD6
on 11/19/11 11:44 am - Hamilton, Canada
I really like the clothes at Avenue too!  And if they made them in my current size I would still shop there!  :0)
Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

MS Miller
on 11/19/11 5:49 am - Nepean, Canada
Hi,

One word...Khols, also ask for an extra 15% at check out, I always get that from them, being from Canada.

I would also check out Marshall's and TJ Maxx, you will find them like our Winners, actually same company I think.

Go to Price Chopper for Groceries, get a discount card when you get in, big savings that way, also helps witha discount on gas.

I like Walmart and Target for food as well, and Old Navy has plus clothes too, mind you I find US sizes a bit bigger too.

Good luck, enjoy!

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
Patti K.
on 11/19/11 7:15 am, edited 11/19/11 7:16 am - Kingston On, Canada
Linda...Muriel is right...I was in Watertown last Wed. and checked out Fashion Bug...I didn't buy anything...but was very impressed by what I saw...a huge selection of everything....its right beside the Price Chopper on Arsenal St..   Good luck....Patti K.  p.s. I also bot 3 turkey breasts from Walmart for 1.68/lb....this week Price Chopper have NSA cool whip on for a 1$....I always buy cheese strings, butter, skim milk ricotta cheese, I think they also have their Pillsbury cake mixes all varieties on for 10/10$ guess that would include the NSA ones too!!  I just brot my cooler and a bag of ice!!

Linda C.
on 11/19/11 9:01 am
Thank you all for the shopping tips!  It's really appreciated.

If I find some good sales, I might get a few outfits in a variety of sizes so that i will have a few things to slim down into. 

I normally hate shopping, but I'm really looking forward to this.

Linda C.
Jonathin
on 11/19/11 9:29 pm - Ottawa, Canada

There's a Fashion Bug right in Ogdensburg as you pass over the border. There may be one in Watertown too.  

I hear they have some of the best prices.  Not that I shop there or anything.

It is a nice trip to go down to New York. I try to go every few months as a shopping extravaganza. Just take it slow for your husband and everything should be fine. The prices are great, especially for eating out too.
ROSIESMILE
on 11/20/11 5:44 am
TJ Maxx - not sure if someone mention that .

Most Active