FYI - Hospital rooms fees!

Nathalie_Can
on 11/30/11 10:19 pm
Just a little heads up, hoping this can help someone!

When I "checked" in at the hospital for my surgery, the registration nurse asked alot of questions, especially about insurance coverage for rooms: semi-private - private. (Ward is free).

At that point, completely forgot to look at my insurance coverage and wasn't sure if they covered semi or private so told her to not give me a room where I would end up payng if they didn't. Unfortunately, she didn't listen and woke up in a semi-private where I later learned that my insurance didn't cover it and ended up paying $500.00.

So please, make it clear before if you don't want to end up with a bill.

Live and learn right?  lol

Have a wonderfull weekend everyone. 
I'm leaving for Ottawa tomorrow for Prince concert...wOot WoOt
So excited!!!
Nathalie

P.S.  What I also learned from this is that when I was in her office signing my life away...lol...it's a blur as I was so excited that morning.  So what did I sign for a room even if I asked for a ward, NO IDEA!  Which is totally my fault and that's why I'm just writing this to help!

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

Monica M.
on 11/30/11 10:22 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
Yeah, it is a blur. Exciting and lack of attention to details is the result. Oh well. Live and learn!

Brenda T.
on 11/30/11 11:30 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Aww I'm sorry that happened to you. I really appreciate your warning, I will look out for that.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

CC1964
on 12/1/11 2:43 am - Lindsay, Canada
Enjoy Prince!! I have the best memory from high school of a guy named Peter and the song Purple Rain.
Cathie  

Surgery - January 11/12        
Jennifer D.
on 12/1/11 4:10 am
The best thing is to sign for a ward and hopefully end up with a semi because there's no room in the wards.
Linda C.
on 12/1/11 5:02 am, edited 12/1/11 5:30 am
Nathalie:

If you were like me, when I signed that sheet, they said it was so they could contact my insurance company.  There was no mention of what kind of room I wanted either at my PATTS, or day of surgery.  They put me in a semi private, and like you, I had to pay the part that my insurance company did not cover.  Although it was not an awful lot, I feel at some point that they should have at least asked about what kind of room I wanted.

Linda C.

p.s.  When they ask you if you have supplementary insurance and ask to see your insurance information, and have you sign the form, ask them for a copy of the form right then.  Not much sense getting the form just before you leave after having the surgery, by then it is too late to see what they have checked off for you.
Most Active
Recent Topics