Just a little update

aprilbennett1965
on 12/26/11 9:12 pm - Canada

I can't stay on for long periods of time, as I can't sit straight up for long periods of times without it hurting too much, but please know that I do pop in from time to time to read what is going on in everyone's lives and all your supportive comments to me. I will start replying as things starting progressing more...all is going well. I am feeling quite good. Getting in my walks at least 3 - 4 times per day. I go upstairs to my rec centre and walk the perimetre three or 4 times and then go back and repeat a few times a day.  Getting in and out of bed still hurts quite a bit and there is one spot in my upper chest that hurts like hell at times. I think this may be the actual new stomach itself that is hurting but not sure. It seems to hurt when I sit or go to stand, once I am sitting or in a standing position it eases off. Also, hurts when I first try to sip on my protein shakes or take my meds. Again, I think it may be the pouch itself that is just adjusting so I am not concerned by it. I will talk to the doctor when I go for my follow up this week or early next. As for the protein shakes and meds...well the protein shake I currently has tastes like a cross between cardboard and saw dust. Oh ya, it is that freaking good. JJ, bless her soul brought me a pre-mixed premier one in the hospital and I tried that but had a hard time with the flavour of that one as well... BUT I do know my body needs it so come hell or high water I made sure it went down 3 times yesterday. I think would rather eat homemade turd logs but oh well a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Also my multivitamin which I have to take 2 of is the most disgusting, vile tasting think I have ever had to consume. I got it down yesterday but thought it was coming right back up. JJ the one you brought me I haven't tried yet because I wanted to ask you...they have 5mgs of iron so that does that mean I need to take 7-8 of them a day? If I understand our guide correctly we need 36mgs of iron per day?  I am going to head to the pharmacy at the Civic Hospital hopefully today or tomorrow for sure, where I am gonna get the sample packs of other the Unjury proteins, as well as the unjury chewable multivitamin and will only have to take one a day. Gonna give that a whirl and hopefully that will help. As for food...well it is absolutely astonishing to me that I have not had real food since November 27 and as of right now I am not missing it a bit. In the hospital Filomena and I were walking the halls and trying to fart and someone had obviously brought the nurses some cupcakes and left them sitting at the nurse's station. We walk by, take one look at the cupcakes, take one look at each other and say ...do you feel like hurling just looking at those things? And for sure I did lol. Certainly have come a long way so far! Well, tummy is starting to hurt from sitting so I am gonna go lay down for a while. Just wanted to say hi and to update you all. Take care and will talk to you again soon.

Surgery ---December 23 with Dr. Yelle!

JJ_
on 12/26/11 9:33 pm
Hi April,

Glad to hear you are up and doing what you should.  The chewable Shoppers Drug Mart vitamins would need iron supplementation if they only have 5 mgs of iron.  Don`t take more than 2 of them plus add more iron.

There is a recipe in our food planner book to use a pre-made shake like the one from Costco - Take 1/2 of one of the shakes - add 1/2 tsp of mint extract and several ice cubes.  Blend it together and voila....the mint overpowers the smell from the protein in the shake.

p.s.  It won`t be too long before you will not need the protein supplement.  Once you can eat your protein.  !!

Take care,

Judy
Karen W.
on 12/26/11 9:56 pm - Canada
Hi April.

Thanks for the update.  I'm glad to hear that you're doing well.

Good attitude about the protein shakes; you're right, they are necessary and can't be treated like they're optional!  With the Premier shakes from Costco, I add some decaf coffee and a tiny bit of milk (1/4 C for 1/2 shake) and shake well.  You could also throw it in the blender with some ice and you would end up with an iced mocha.  It's actually pretty good.

I hope you continue to have a smooth recovery, April.

RNY April 11, 2011       

Moselle
on 12/26/11 10:16 pm - Athens, Canada
Glad to hear that you are doing so well. It gets a little easier everyday. Sounds like you are doing everything right. I mixed my protein shakes with skim milk for the first week or so just to get it into me because I didn't like them much either.

All the best for a successful journey.  Muriel
Brenda T.
on 12/26/11 10:29 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Glad to hear an update. Take care of yourself.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

Gabygee
on 12/26/11 10:44 pm - Canada
Way to go, April.
So glad you came on and posted.

You're going to be a star at this - you've got the right attitude.

Toni B.
on 12/26/11 11:37 pm - Sudbury, Ontario
RNY on 01/19/12
 "I think I would rather eat homemade turd logs". 

Omg April I love it! I see your sense of humour is fully intact! LOL

Keep up the good work and get lots of rest! Congrats on making to the bench!

Toni..."Bravery is not the absence of fear, but the will to overcome it"
 www.fatgirlchangingherworld.com Twitter:@fatgirlchanging
   Surgery JAN. 19th, 2012 Down 120 lbs & 75 inches @ my last Weigh in!!!!  
Fat Girl Changing her World

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

DonnaB1952
on 12/27/11 12:20 am - Amherstburg, Canada
RNY on 01/18/12
Hi April... "cross between cardboard and saw dust" great that's what I have to look forward to...LOL, so glad  to hear things are going well recovery wise.  Your sense of humour will help you stay the course thats for sure... and make us all laugh even better!

Donna

My Journey: Highest W= 349 Loss w/Weight Watchers= 296 Loss w/Optifast= 278 
Referral: Aug.25/11 Orientation: Sept.26/11, Optifast: Dec.28/11 & Surgery: Jan 18/12 

Total Loss= 187 lbs & Weight Loss since Dec 28/2011 w/Opti+WLS= 134 lbs. 

Current Weight  - April 2013 = 162.2

monique_lite2b
on 12/27/11 12:53 am - North Bay, Canada
You are doing great April!!  Stay positive.  I had my surgery on Nov 1st and only did the chewables for a month.  I hated them also.  I break up a one a day now in three and swallow them and take 2 chewable gummie one a day.  So that helps a lot.  Keep resting you will feel better and better every day. Good luck!
Monique

Referral - Sept.23.2010, Orientation - June 8.2010, Nurse&S.W. -  July 28.2011, Nutrition Class -    Aug.2.2011, Nutritionist -  Sept.13.2011, Psych - Sept.15.2011, Surgeon -  Oct.21.2011, Surgery - November 1, 2011.                        
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/11 2:49 am

Glad to hear you are home and doing well. You have a better sense of humour than I did the first week!  I loved the Premier shakes before surgery but couldn't stand them after. Jennifer told me to try Diabetic Boost (16 grams protein) and that worked much better for me. I still keep some in the fridge just in case I need a little extra protein. The crushed meds. are the worst thing, if you don't already feel like chucking up a lung you do after taking them!  
Keep up the good work!
Cindy

Most Active
Recent Topics