Severe gallbladder pain, no gallbladder

Radiogirl39
on 1/28/12 11:42 pm - Canada

Besides the fact that I don't think I was prepared for this surgery.  And besides the fact that the nurses in recovery were more concerned with leaving for the day than how I felt.  I think I may need to go back to the hospital.

Yesterday, I started eating more normally.  My gallbladder was removed on Thursday.  Last night, I had 3 of the worst gallbladder attacks ever!  The meals that triggered it were: #1 - some mashed potatoes and plain roasted chicken, #2 - about 1/3 cup mashed potatoes, #3- 1/2 protein bar.  

I stayed away from dairy and fats.  It was excrutiating.  Telehealth told me to call my doctor.  Sooooo helpful.  I'm very frustrated.  So now I am terrified to eat and my friend is coming over and making me go back to the hospital.

Any advice?
Julie

DS Facts
on 1/28/12 11:49 pm
Julie,

Go get checked out and don't second guess it. Better to find out what is causing the pain. You have a good friend there ready to jump in and help, let her take you to the hospital.

Let us know how you make out.
Radiogirl39
on 1/29/12 12:08 am - Canada

Thanks.  Guess I'm going back since she won't take no for an answer. lol

Karen M.
on 1/29/12 12:11 am - Mississauga, Canada
Julie, when I had my GB out a stone "slipped out" during extraction and ended up getting caught in the bile duct.  I called the surgeon and immediately met him in the ER for further investigation.  This sounds exactly the same to me - call your surgeon.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Radiogirl39
on 1/29/12 12:33 am - Canada

So back to fluids, broth and protein drinks until I can speak to my surgeon's office tomorrow?

Karen M.
on 1/29/12 12:48 am - Mississauga, Canada
Yes, and I would call the GB surgeon's office to see if there is an emergency #.  He may well even be on-call at the hospital today and may be able to see you there.  Keep us posted, I know how miserable this is. xo

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/12 12:38 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
You could have a stone still lodged in the duct or you could be having phantom attacks.   I had them for 2 years after removal but I still had them checked out.  Not sure if you are still on any narcotic drugs but they can give you excrutiating pain as well.  I'd definitely go back and have them check things out.  Better to be safe than sorry.
Radiogirl39
on 1/29/12 12:42 am - Canada

I will.  I think I will avoid going to emerg though, and see if I can reach my surgeon tomorrow.  That's the part I'm stuck on.  Check it out now, tomorrow, or wait a few days. Thanks

Karen M.
on 1/29/12 12:55 am - Mississauga, Canada
If the pain is as bad as I remember it Julie, DO go to the ER for some relief.  Explain to them that you had your GB out only 9 days ago and now this is happening.  This is serious, I would not wait.

Karen

Radiogirl39
on 1/29/12 1:05 am - Canada
Karen, it was only Thursday.  So 3 days ago.  They sent me home with the most basic of instructions and no diet plan to follow.  It happened 3 times last night when I ate only.  It was excrutiatng, but only lasted about 5 miutes each time. 

Gonna go back to fluids and call my surgeon's office tomorrow unless I have another attack today.

Most Active
Recent Topics