I reached my clinic goal , but???

stewartjackie
on 2/16/12 12:58 am - Pickering, Canada
I would appreciate some assistance from those of you who are at their goal. Yesterday at my 6 month check-up I reached their goal, but need to determine how I will proceed from here. Not sure how much more to lose, and am quite frankly a little nervous about a maintenance diet...
thanks
jackie

Leanne1
on 2/16/12 1:13 am, edited 2/16/12 1:15 am - Newmarket, Canada
CONGRATS on accomplishing this goal!
Well, first thing you need to do is ask yourself "How do I feel at this stage?"
What is your "normal" bmi range? Would you feel comfortable in that range? I ask because some people don't want to be in the normal bmi range as they feel awesome with their accomplishments they have already achieved

I think that we all get a little nervous about going from the "weight loss" phase into the "maintenance" phase.

Have you checked out the "what are you doing/ eating?" thread? Lots of good ideas for different stages.
Smurfette579
on 2/16/12 1:42 am - Canada
I can't answer your question Jackie, as I'm pre-op, but I wanted to say congratulations!!  That's amazing!
sam1am
on 2/16/12 3:56 am
Hi Jackie,

Big congratulations on reaching the clinic goal!  Where you want to go from here, only you can decide, but my $.02 worth says to go a little lower than where you want to be, because bounceback is a *****!

All the best!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

CanDoItFour
on 2/16/12 6:41 am - Canada
Hi Jackie

I feel exactly the same.  I keep moving my goal  forward - partly because I can (ie I'm still loosing, although more slowly), partly because I am worried about a bounce back, partly because I'm not to a normal BMI yet, and partly because I'm terrified of maintenance which I've always failed at in the past.

I talked this over with the Nutritionist last week, and I've decided to keep going for the moment and try to get down to a mid range normal BMI - which for me is another 30 lbs.  TWH doesn't set goals per se ... but if I go that far it will be 70lbs below what I myself had discussed as MY goal / what I'd be happy with before the surgery. 

If I don't get any further, so be it; but, at least then I will know what my maintenance level caloric intake should be, haha.  And if I start not liking how I feel or look, I'll stop too.

Claire
Surgery Feb 11, 2011
HW 348
CW 162
Moselle
on 2/16/12 8:43 am - Athens, Canada
 Hey Jackie - I agree that only you know how you feel.  My original goal was 155-150. When I got there the Ottawa WMC staff told me that they didn't want to see go below 145 at the lowest. I've recently turned 50 and I'm 5'5" tall so 150 was the high of my normal BMI. I felt really well and I was pretty happy with my success so I started to try an maintain my weight.  It's a lot harder than I expected. Who knew that I would one day be worried about losing too much weight.  

I currently range between 133 - 137 and I think that I've finally leveled off.  I go back to Ottawa in a few weeks; I'm just going to have to tell them that my body just obviously wanted to lose a few more pounds.  I certainly don't want to lose anymore and I feel like I'm eating all the time just trying to keep up my calorie intake.  

Let me know how you make out when you switch to maintenance. I wish you all the best. Muriel

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

stewartjackie
on 2/16/12 11:37 am - Pickering, Canada
Thanks so much everyone for your responses...it is scary and I've heard about bounce back and don't want to go there.
Yesterday myself and the RD decided to leave things as they are, and I can always call and get the maintenance diet, otherwise I'll review in 2 months..

Most Active
Recent Topics