Prilosec or similar for prevention of ulcers

Tina72
on 2/25/12 2:03 am
Thanks everyone

I'll have to talk to my surgeon about it this week. It seems like a good idea. I am having surgery in Ottawa, and I don't think they prescribe or recommend anything.
PatXYZ
on 2/25/12 4:41 am
It's a great idea to talk to your surgeon about it. It's recommended for at least 3 months by independent studies and the ASMBS as studies have shown that it does decrease the incidence of ulcers post-op.
Elizabeth R.
on 2/25/12 3:47 am - Morrisburg, Canada
I just had surgery in Ottawa and I have a perscrption for previcid fast tabs for 3 months.

Tammy G.
on 2/25/12 8:56 am - London, Canada
RNY on 01/25/12
 My surgery was at Toronto East (TWH program) and Dr. Aarts gave me a scipt for 6 months of Prevacid Fastabs.  They are easy enough to get down and are pleasant tasting.  Anything to prevent an ulcer.

Tammy 

Zer0
on 2/25/12 1:50 pm - Sudbury, Canada
Hi Tammy,

I had Dr. Arts as well and she prescribed Panteloc which I am currently taking in liquid form (the worst part of my day-twice a day). It tastes terrible).I wonder why I got this when you are taking something else? I have a small hiatus hernia which was likely not fixed in surgery and GERD, also she did say that she noticed a few small ulcers when she did a gastroscopy prior to surgery. Lastly, she has allowed me to take low dose aspirin as DVT prevention as I have been on this for dome time. Those reasons must be why the different medication. I wish I didn't have to take it!
Kristen
Tammy G.
on 2/25/12 9:55 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 01/25/12
Hi Kristen,

She said everything was textbook with me and I didn't have to have a gastroscopy prior to surgery as I have never had any burning issues, she also asked me if I had drug coverage and when I said yes she told the resident to prescribe the Fastabs instead.  Perhaps your prescription is too heal current issues and mine is to prevent??  Not sure really.

Tammy

Tammy 

Zer0
on 2/27/12 1:55 am - Sudbury, Canada
Thanks Tammy for your response. We are definitely different in this regard-I was just checking as I hate taking it but I know i have to Lol!

Kristen
Leslie W.
on 2/25/12 12:54 pm - Cobourg, Canada
At TWH I was given Previcid for one month but ended up needed it longer as I had burning issues. Have been on it for 4 months now.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
HeySher
on 2/25/12 8:46 pm - Scarborough, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
My surgery was done at TWH on Jan 20th and I was prescribed 40 days of Prevacid and I have never had any issues with heartburn or ulcers of any kind.

Referred: Dec 15/10           Orientation: Jun 14/11          Nurse: Jun 23/11
Social Worker: Sep 7/11   Nutrition Class: Sep 28/11   Nutrition Assess: Oct 27/11
Psychiatrist: Nov 10/11     Surgeon: Dec 23/11               Surgery: Jan 20/12  
Most Active
Recent Topics