Prilosec or similar for prevention of ulcers

Tina72
on 2/24/12 11:28 pm
Is there anyone with an RNY who is taking a PPI (Prilosec) to prevent ulcers after surgery?
I've noticed a lot of people in the US are prescribed this as a precaution for 3 months or more after surgery

Thanks
Tina
Leanne1
on 2/24/12 11:31 pm - Newmarket, Canada
I didn't take anything like this after surgery...

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

on_my_way2011
on 2/24/12 11:35 pm - Canada
They gave me Prevacid for six months.

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

msheavyhearted
on 2/24/12 11:46 pm, edited 2/25/12 1:18 am - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
I've been prescribed 3 months of a PPI for ulcer prevention. My centre is Thunder Bay and my surgery was done at St. Joe's Hamilton. It is routine for all patients but I got the feeling that this is a relatively new decision. I was first prescribed Prevacid fast-tabs and will switch to Pantaloc in the next week or so.

ETA: This is standard for my centre but not necessarily for the others.

Thea
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Smileyiam2
on 2/25/12 12:17 am - Canada
I was originally put on prevacid for only a month post-op (after surgery). When I went back for my 6wk follow up appt after surgery they had indicated to me they are now prescribing everyone 3 months of prevacid to help with stomach ulcers. So I was issued another 2month supply. Which didn't make any sense to me as I was already one month with no prevacid. I'm just finishing up my prescription now. Taking one each morning.
Marie

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/25/12 12:54 am - Windsor, Canada
Depending on where you go, protocol will be different. Some say have caffeine and we'll put you on a PPI as a precaution. Other places say no caffeine whatsover and no ppi.

It all depends on their theories. You'll learn there are not many absolutes with this surgery...much of it is all best practices and best guesses.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

PatXYZ
on 2/25/12 4:40 am
Hamilton says no caffeine AND puts you on a PPI for 3 months.
Diminishing Dawn
on 2/25/12 5:16 am - Windsor, Canada
Yep, again it all varies.  Most of windsor's patients are TWH and Guelph.

Often whatever facility surgeons start at, they seem to keep those rules of what works/doesn't work and bring it over to new practices.  Both Dr. Hong and Dr. Anvari started somewhere else so they are going to have their own best practices too. 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Radiogirl39
on 2/25/12 1:09 am - Canada
6 months of Prevacid Fastabs.  My surgeon said I may be on them indefinitely.  I have been having issues and I may need to get scoped as I possibly have a small ulcer.  Or I am still producing a lot of acid as I had a pretty bad case of GERD before surgery.  The Prevacid may not be enough for me.

Lorraine M.
on 2/25/12 1:43 am - Canada
I was put on prevacid fast tab. I had a second repair on a hiatus hernia during my RNY surgery. My first repair was during my gall bladder surgery 25 years ago. My surgeon said I will probably have to take it for the rest of my life to prevent the acid reflux damage. No problem, it's only one more pill and it makes me feel better. 

Most Active
Recent Topics