Pre-op Done

PatXYZ
on 3/1/12 4:51 am
So yesterday I spent all day at St. Joe's Hamilton getting my pre-op done. The nut sent me for extensive pre-op blood work so we'd have a baseline for a bunch of things incase something goes wonky after my DS and told me I could do it al at the hospital on the day of pre-op, as you'll never be charged for tests at the hospital that some clinics will charge for (B1, Zinc, Vitamin E).

I got to the outpatient lab a little after 10am and only had to wait about 15 mintues. I had a lot of vials to fill and nearly fainted while giving the samples. This is weird for me, because usually I have no problem with blood and can watch while they put the needle in and take the samples, etc, but after 10 or 11 vials yesterday I started to get warm and dizzy and asked them to stop. They reclined the chair and let me rest for a few minutes while I sipped water. I was totally embarrased, but they said it happens all the time. We finished up on the other arm with the last 4 or 5 vials.

After that I could finally eat, well, 'eat' my optifast and wait for my appointment with the Pre-op department at 12:15pm. I met with the nurse, who had to poke me AGAIN for 2 more vials - my poor arms. They were able to see my hematology testing from January that confirmed normal coagulation and that I do not in fact have Von Willebrand Disease. This was my biggest concern during pre-op, to get it clear to everyone that the diagnosis was a misdiagnosis so that there would be no issues on the morning of surgery.

After the nurse, I saw the pharmacist, very quick and easy as I only take one med. Then I saw the anesthesiologist. He and his student were interesting characters. The doc I saw, I forget his name, but he was Eastern European, blue eyes, thick accent. He didn't make eye contact for most of our meeting and asked very brusque questions. His student on the other hand spoke to me like I was a child. I was surprised he didn't pat me on the head and hand me a lollipop when we were finished. No surprise that these guys prefer their patients unconscious!

Took 2 hours and 45 mins from start to finish for pre-op, 5 hours total at the hospital, plus one hour bus rides each way from and to Toronto. It was a pretty boring and long-ish day.
Hanneli xoxo
on 3/1/12 4:58 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12
"No surprise that these guys prefer their patients unconscious!" That made me laugh lol

Lots of more steps closer! What is your surgery date?

PatXYZ
on 3/1/12 4:59 am
Wednesday, March 7th.
(deactivated member)
on 3/1/12 6:58 am - Toronto, Canada
 Glad to hear you got that over with...you must have felt like a pin cushion with all those needles.  I don't remember getting that much blood taken at my PATTS.  Sounds good that they are doing a baseline..again, something I didn't get pre-op and wish I had thought to ask for.

You are so close, Trish!  Less than a week away...wow!  Hope you are surviving the optifast!
PatXYZ
on 3/1/12 7:13 am, edited 2/29/12 7:13 pm
You probably didn't have as much blood taken as I did. I insisted on extra tests they don't usually do with RNY or VSGers unless someone has a known problem with something.

As for optifast - see my other post. Bleh.

Marls
on 3/1/12 7:46 am - Canada
Just reading your post and almost spit my water onto my monitor when you said "No surprise that these guys prefer their patients unconscious!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way too funny!! Thanks for that.  Best of luck to you and cannot wait to hear that you are up and at em. !
Smileyiam2
on 3/1/12 8:41 am - Canada
Glad all went well for you at your pre-op, besides the time being in the hospital.

Just curious, why are you having your surgery in Hamilton when Toronto has a clinic?? Sorry, just curious.
Marie

PatXYZ
on 3/1/12 11:51 pm
Dr. Hong at St. Joe's Hamilton is the only surgeon in Ontario who performs the DS. I was evaluated at TWH, met with a surgeon there, and then he referred me to Dr. Hong.
Most Active
Recent Topics