Trouble swallowing - question about having a scope....

northernlight
on 3/6/12 9:20 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
For the past month or so, I've been having a lot of trouble lately when I eat anything. It started off not too bad, but has been getting worse. The food seems to sit like a hard lump in my throat/chest area & doesn't want to go down. Very painful too. As much as I don't want it, I'm going to ask my doctor to send me for a scope to see if they can tell what's wrong. Now, just the idea of them sticking a tube down my throat with a camera on it, is freaking me out - I gag over the slightest things! I know that they numb your throat with spray but I've also heard that it really doesn't work that well. Can someone who has had this done please tell me just how uncomfortable it is? Can I drive myself home afterward or should I bring someone with me?

I'm scheduled to return to TWH on Mar 20 for a meeting with Dr Glazer. Obviously, I don't want to go forward with my surgery until I find out what's causing this, but I figure that I'll still keep the appt and hopefully I'll have my scope & results from it very quickly, in case I do get a green light from Dr Glazer & a date for surgery.

I looked up my symptoms on the internet & found a few very serious things, (like Esophageal Cancer !), that match my symptoms so now I'm in a state of panic. I know, I know - it's dangerous to diagnose yourself!  I had an upper GI when I was having all my tests through the clinic, but all that showed up was mild reflux & they didn't send me for a scope back then. 

I'd appreciate any information anyone can share with me as I am very scared about having the scope done.  I apologize as I know that this topic has come up before but I never paid a lot of attention to it as I never had to have a scope.  I swear, with all of the delays and setbacks I've had in my journey, I'm wondering if Fate is trying to tell me not to have the surgery!!!  Thanks in advance for any info.

Deb

350Ann180
on 3/6/12 9:30 am - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
Deb - try not to worry about this procedure - you have alot going on without this stress.  I just had an Endoscopy a few weeks ago.  It was part of my pre-surgery workup. 

It was a day surgery and Yes you will need someone to drive you home.  Nothing to eat after 8 pm the night before. Went to the hospital, I got undressed from the waist up with a hospital gown on.  I was given an IV and notes were made in my chart (medications, previous surgeries etc). Was walked to the procedure room and got comfortable on a guerny. 

They explained what was going to happen, injected some medication into the IV and I was out like a light.  I think I remember something happening...but not sure. I woke up in recovery and there was not an issue.

I went home about an hour later.  My throat was a little scratchy for a couple days.

Good luck and try not to worry about the procedure......

northernlight
on 3/6/12 11:46 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks for that great explanation, Ann & for taking the time to tell me how your procedure went. Like you, I hope that I am asleep and don't feel anything.

Deb

Dianadcr
on 3/6/12 9:45 am - Canada
I'm sorry to hear about what is happening to you. I'll pray that all things will turn out for the best. Don't worry about the endoscopy. I was out cold and felt no discomfort after the procedure. Stay strong and positive. Prayers and all good things.
  Diana

northernlight
on 3/6/12 11:47 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks, Diana, for sharing that with me. I especially liked the part about being out cold & feeling nothing!

Deb

ern1975
on 3/6/12 9:50 am - Brampton, Canada
I wouldn't worry to much. I had a scope to dialate a stricture. They put me to sleep and after I felt good. Good luck
Ernestine   

northernlight
on 3/6/12 11:48 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks Ernestine - that makes me feel less stressed out!

Deb

JennR
on 3/6/12 10:33 am
You will be unconscious for the scope and so yes you need someone to drive you home.

northernlight
on 3/6/12 11:49 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks Jenn - that's kind of what I thought.

Deb

onmom
on 3/6/12 11:42 am
Not to scare you but you have no real choice but to do what the Dr. need to find out what this issue is.

That being said my experience with the scope was different. Not really bad but different. I had to have it done with no sedation. They had a hard time finding my veins for the iv. I had no real options. I need it done to continue my journey.

I will say they tried their best to make it as low stress as they could. It was not nice but many medically necessary things aren't. The failed IV needle pokes ended up very painful during their attempts. I have bad veins. I joked I will NEVER blled to death.

The biggest issue is the urge to vomit and the weird feeling of the scope and air in your stomach. The retching did leave my chest and throat a little sore still today but I only had the scope yesterday. Would I do it again yes, would I want to if not needed, Hello no.

I mention it only as a just in case story to be prepared. I also was then able to walk right out of the room and go about my day. I treated myself to something special as a reward. LOL. No waiting in recovery or any side effects of sedation. You could then drive yourself home.

Most Active
Recent Topics