Thrush anyone??

deew1234
on 3/16/12 4:03 am - Stratford, Canada
I am 16 days out now and about a week after surgery I noticed lumps growing on the back of my tongue and what felt like my throat as I have a constant feeling of a piece of food stuck in my throat!! Finally saw my family doctor and he agreed with me that my symptoms sound like Thrush and he put me on Ratio-Nystatin!! I have heard that it alone won't cure the issue and it must be followed with a week or two of pills on top of that!! Has anyone had this after surgery and what exactly did it take to get rid of it?? Any suggestions appreciated!!! :) 

Joyce J.
on 3/16/12 4:37 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

I was in the hospital in Oct for a week with a severe kidney infection. Because they had to keep trying different antibiotics to get one that worked I ended up with thru**** was horrible. I used the Nystatin and it cleared up, but I had to have it twice, when one bottle was finished I had to get another
I didn't take any pills
Just be careful what you eat, nothing acidic.

I feel for ya
Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

deew1234
on 3/16/12 4:41 am - Stratford, Canada
It may be a bit hard to avoid acidic foods at the moment since most of my full fluid diet consists of acidic drinks!! :(

Monica M.
on 3/16/12 4:48 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
what kind of acidic drinks are you having? i was having things like yogurt, milk, protein drinks....

deew1234
on 3/16/12 4:50 am - Stratford, Canada
Those and oj, grapefruit juice, tomato juice!!

Monica M.
on 3/16/12 4:38 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
the only experience i've had with thrush is my babies when they were small, but the nystatin helped with no oral pills.

Monica M.
on 3/16/12 4:49 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
and he's sure its not strep throat?

deew1234
on 3/16/12 4:51 am - Stratford, Canada
He did check me over pretty good and didn't even mention that it could be a possibility!!

Monica M.
on 3/16/12 4:54 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Thrush is just an odd diagnosis, unless you've been on antibiotics, or youre a newborn.

I'd stay away from fruit juices, if i were you. You should really be trying to get most of your nutrients from more protein based things. Fruit juices are mostly empty calories. I rarely, if ever, drink juice, and then its only a sip or two.

deew1234
on 3/16/12 5:03 am - Stratford, Canada
I was on antibiotics during my stay at the hospital!! I never drink juices normally, but they were one of the few choices given to me during my full fluids diet!!

Most Active
Recent Topics