Battle of the Regain

Jacki1965
on 3/27/12 9:26 am - Cambridge, Canada
 Congrates to EricaF for her blog on the realities of the regain.  This is a fear I think we all live with everyday.  I had my own regain of about 15 lbs and spent about 4 months wondering what the hell was going on in my body. After all I have been through I still was not open to accepting that my own bad habits might have slipped back.  Well, I went to a naturopath - wonderful amazing lady and she helped me on many levels to identify some culprits - yes more than one!  First step, she took me off of dairy even though I never thought I had much of a problem with it and low and behold my heartburn is all but a memory.  We talked about poop and after a couple of tests she determined that I'm literally full of it!!  Bring on the real probiotics - not in yogurt but the actual powder itself and low and behold - regularity is a wonderful thing.  We talked exercise and strength and I can honestly say for the first time in my life I feel like I am in tune with my body.  My form isn't perfect and Lord knows there is no grace to be had when doing exercises on a balance ball, but I'm getting better. Now the honesty part - a good hard look at what was making it between my lips...wow...I was humbled to see that what I thought was a struggle to get to 1200 calories a day was actually more like 1700 - no wonder weight was finding me.  I'm back on track and trying everyday.  I have been hard at it for over a month and even though the first two weeks issued no loss, I stuck with it and I am proud to say that as of today I have lost 7 pounds of my regain and am back in the 100's zone.  For all those that struggle "stay strong sisters!!" (and brothers).  Don't be afraid to admit that we are human.  Just be strong enough to take one meal at a time when you are feeling overwhelmed. When you are exercising, pay attention to the amazing machine that is your body.  Take back your power...sorry if I sound preachy...I know how hard it is to admit my own mistakes and failures but I also know that if I don't face it - they will literally bite me in the ass!!  Take care all and have a great evening!!

Highest Weight: 335
Weight when this journey began: 306
Presurgery Weight: 280      
CanDoItFour
on 3/27/12 11:02 am - Canada
Great post Jacki!

I am 13 months out and getting close to maintenance,  with 10 lbs to go.  Bounce back / minding myself long-term is now my greatest fear.  Thanks for showing how it can be done, because it would be naive of me to think that after 45 years of yo-yo's it is behind me now.  So great to hear the pouch still works, and that with persistance and a positive attitude someone can get back on track!

Thanks agin.

Claire

HW 348
CW 150.5
ericaFG
on 3/27/12 11:28 am - Cambridge, Canada
 Jackie- good for you!!

Admitting what's going on is the hardest part, huh?  Part of me posting my blog here was a way of "confessing" what's happened to me.  I've by no means gone back to the person I was - but any move in that direction is TERRIFYING!

Great job getting things under control and heading back to where you belong!  See you back at GOAL!!
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

birdiegirl
on 3/27/12 11:57 pm

HI Jackie

Erica and I are meeting every morning on the What are you Eating post....to monitor each other- welcome to join us

I would love the name of your Naturopath....and did you require a referral or can you call direct? Do you mind PM'ing me with the info?

Thanks

Barb

sam1am
on 3/28/12 10:39 am
 Congratulations on getting back on track and thanks for sharing!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Jacki1965
on 3/28/12 10:53 am - Cambridge, Canada
Erica I so get you on the "terrifying" comment. I consider myself strong, but Lord knows that I am most afraid of a climbing number on a stupid scale!! I just can't go back to the unhealthy ways I was before. The whole "accountable" thing can be scary so i admire your blog and the courage it takes to put it out there.

Birdie Girl the name of my naturopath is Dr. Susan Fisher. She is amazing. She is about five feet tall of pure energy. I have never given much thought to naturopathic philosophies and there are some things that I don't understand, but I get more out of the time I spend with her than anything else I've ever done for myself. She is teaching me how to listen and respond to my body effectively.
Most Active
Recent Topics