Plastic Surgery Coverage-READ and HELP

giggles2laugh
on 3/27/12 11:37 pm, edited 3/28/12 6:13 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hey Everyone!

How's it going?

I am writing this in hopes that the power of people will make a difference. We all know that plastic surgery ISN'T covered for GB patients which is ridiculous. We need to work together to try and change that.

I am writing an email to the Ontario Ministry of Health to exlain MY situation at the following link: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/common/

I suggest all of you do the same. The more we "annoy" them and educate them on the various issues and problems we have post surgery, the more of a chance we have for something to be done.

I hope you all agree!

nata
on 3/28/12 12:42 am - Ottawa, Canada
Sorry, but while totally supporting the idea of plastics coverage,  I completely disagree with the center point of your claim. Body image? you want them to fund our "body image fix"? sounds like a way to lose the battle before we begin.

We need to look for a more medically founded argument. Loose abdominal muscles, for example, stretched to the point beyond possibility of self repair, can be tightened with abdominoplastics. These muscles are the root reasons for hernias and bowel obstruction - life threatening conditions, requiring costly surgeries anyway.

Stretched skin breaks and infections  can cause significant pain, discomfort and mobility/activity limitations. It happens not only in the panni area, but also in the underarms and inner thighs, so it should be covered as well as  panni.

That's what we should be focusing on, not the body image, IMHO.
Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
Linda G.
on 3/28/12 12:48 am - Canada
I think it is a great initiative to get started and I really appreciate the suggestion and the email link but I'm sorry I must agree with the last poster regarding the health issues.  Way to lead the charge though!  Thanks
Linda

referral-July 28, 2011, orientation-September 8, nurse pract-September 13, social worker-September 22, nutrition class-November 1, surgeon appt-November 4,  psych-Jan 11, Catscan-Jan 12, NUT-Jan 20, Endoscopy-Jan 28, Surgeon meeting- Feb 10, Surgery-March 23  Dr. Grantcharov    
giggles2laugh
on 3/28/12 1:29 am - Ottawa, Canada
You're both absolutely right, but have either of you done that?
I would say no, no one is really doing anything about this.

What I wrote in MY letter was about ME and MY situation and MY reasoning.
Everyone needs to write them letters expressing why THEY would require it so that they see ALL sides/needs/reasons to this, as there are many.

I am trying to start something...anything...

Psychological/Body Image issues are very much a concern and problem. If you don't have them, GREAT but don't dismiss my issues simply because you don't agree.
And if you're trying to tell me that how you LOOK means nothing, I would find that very hard to believe.

I appreciate you reading my post and expressing your thoughts, I just hope you take some initiative to contact them and express said thoughts/feelings.

Have a great day!
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/12 1:42 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I believe you are missing the point.  The reason for plastics coverage should not be about body image.  Many people get plastics and still have body image issues.  Body image issues need to be worked on in the head not on the body.

Some plastics are already covered through OHIP so perhaps the ones you are actually trying to get coverage for are already in place.   Years ago, they did cover full tummy tucks and breast lifts after a 100 pound weight loss regardless of method but they stopped that obviously because they ran out of money to do it for so many people.
shiikay
on 3/28/12 1:56 am - Canada
RNY on 11/23/12
I cannot put words into the OP's mouth nor into the replies, but what everyone should realize is that her letter/reasonings ARE valid,and that there are MANY other reasons such as the health issues outlined in replies. Perhaps if we were looking to organize a "form letter" to send, all points should be included (physical AND mental health issues).

Happiness is not a destination; happiness is the ride Photobucket

giggles2laugh
on 3/28/12 2:09 am - Ottawa, Canada
Thank you for having some understanding.

I always thought that this was what this forum was about and then I saw how people attacked other, helped them come up with ideas of how to "cheat"/eat poorly and self sabatoge to just straight out rudeness. I stopped coming on here because of that...and had a consulation with a Plastic Surgeon yesterday where they suggested that people write letters to the Ministry...so I wanted to get the message out.

Monica M.
on 3/28/12 3:08 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
I don't think anyone's attacking you personally. I just think that they meant to say that if we want to get anywhere, we need to speak to them in ways they can agree with. That its a physical health issue that could lead to greater costs in future.

giggles2laugh
on 3/28/12 5:43 am - Ottawa, Canada
But who decides on what ways "they'll agree with" are?
As I've been trying to say, we all have different reasons as to why we had gastric bypass and we'll all have different reasons as to why we need/want plastic surgery - but who's to say who's reasoning is better or right?

I was honest about my situation, and made to feel ridiculous for it.
When they call me vain amongst other things, I don't know how it's not personal.
Monica M.
on 3/28/12 6:17 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
ways they'll agree with means ways that they can save money in future. they need to see hard data about things. feelings and self esteem don't matter. (to them)

Most Active
Recent Topics