Gallbladder & Cramping Question

J_J
on 4/3/12 9:43 pm - Barrie, Canada
Good morning all,

I just had a question about gallbladder pain and abdominal cramping. 

For the last month of so I've been having some mild intermittent pain on my right side just under the rib cage...I don't think it can be my gallbladder because from what I've read about that the pain is quite sever.  This pain occurs when I have sat for an extended time and sometimes after I eat.  Has anyone had gallbladder issues where the pain was only mild??

During the month I've also sometimes been experiencing some mild cramping in my lower abdomen after I eat.

I usually have a BM every day...at the very least every other day.

I saw my surgeon yesterday and he's sending me for an ultrasound on my gallbladder...if this doesn't turn up anything he's might have to do a scope (day surgery) to have a look around.  I don't really want to do this...which is why I thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced this.

Hopefully this is enough information...let me know if you need more details.

Thanks
Jackie

Catw
on 4/3/12 10:05 pm - Arnprior, Canada
Sorry I'm not much help.  But I do know that gallbladder attacks that are real painful are due to having small stones, so if it is your gallbladder, it might be larger ones that aren't getting stuck but are still being anoying.  If you feel the area where there is pain, do you feel any unusual lumps?  Just wondering about a hernia, not sure how high you can get them though.  They can be either really painful, or a milder pain.

As for the cramping, if you are keeping a food journal, make note when you get the cramps, and after a few see if there is any connection between them and what you are eating.  It could be a food sensitivity thing.

Good luck with the tests!
Cathy

J_J
on 4/4/12 8:37 pm - Barrie, Canada
Thanks for the advise...I started journaling when I get the cramping yesterday...so hopefully I'll find a pattern. 

The doctor did say it might be a hernia which will be the next thing he looks for if the gallbladder is OK.

Patti K.
on 4/3/12 10:32 pm - Kingston On, Canada
Jackie...when I was having my gall bladder attacks, they started out as bad indigestion, with increased pain...my very worst attack, started out just under my breast bone, then radiated around to my back...nothing helped, I became sweaty, nauseated...it was just awful...I actually thot I was having a heart attack...so after being rushed to the ER, they hooked me up to Demerol, it subsided somewhat...but before it came out, I had 3 more attacks...worst pain ever....Patti K.

J_J
on 4/4/12 8:44 pm - Barrie, Canada
Like having a heart attack...that's exactly the types of pain I've heard described...but I didn't know it could start so mildly...guess I'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the response.

Monica M.
on 4/3/12 10:35 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
definitely doesn't sound like gall bladder pain to me. I felt like i was trying to swallow a live chicken.

Ask your surgeon if the ultrasound can be more broad than just looking at your gall bladder, it might be nice to view your intestines.

Are your BMs normal in texture? no****ery like diarrhea?

J_J
on 4/4/12 8:40 pm - Barrie, Canada
That's what I thought about the gallbladder!

The doctor said that if the gallbladder is OK he's going to do a scope to see if anything is going on.  He said that it is difficult to see intestinal problems any other way.

In answer to your other question...yes my BM are normal 95% of the time (sometimes they are a little soft).

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/12 11:13 pm
Hi Jackie
I haven't had my surgery yet but I have had gallstone/bladder attacks and had my gallbladder out 15 years ago.

I remember the pain as a crampy ache in the epigastric area when I first started having attacks at age 18.  Over the years the pain and attacks increased to the point of excruciating pain that would radiate up my shoulders, down into my abdomen.

My mom experienced gallstone pain as crampy, nauseating aches in her abdomen and radiating up to her L shoulder.

Everyone is different in how they experience the pain.  But it really is hard to really determine what is causing your pain unless you have the U/S and possibly the scope.  I am a Nurse Practitioner and I see people with this on a regular basis and that is always one of my first steps.

Ask your MD about buscopan.  Its a antispasmatic.  But I am not certain how compatible it is with your new digestive system.

Mel
J_J
on 4/4/12 8:42 pm - Barrie, Canada
Thanks for the advise.  I will mention the "buscopan" when I see the doctor for my ultrasound results.  So I guess it could be my gallbladder is just in the early stages of a problem developing...bummer...I'm really hoping it's not that!  But guess I'll deal with what I'm dealt!

Do you have a surgery date yet?

Most Active
Recent Topics