Changes to Cdn food labelling - affects us WLS patients

Gabygee
on 4/4/12 5:33 am - Canada
It would appear that the feds pulled a fast one on us - from now on in, WE will be responsible for noticing any inaccuracies in food labels (eg. sugar and fat content) and pursuing the malfeasants ourselves - the Canadian Food Inspection Agency will no longer do so, and we can no longer rely on the food labels to be accurate.

I find this unacceptable, personally.

Story in the Windsor Star here :

http://www.windsorstar.com/health/Food+labels/6407584/story. html

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/12 5:45 am - Canada
Dr. Freedhoff blogged about this last week. My thought are this...if you eat unprocessed foods, you really dont need to worry about labels. We measure everything and the amount of calories, fat, carbs, and proteins dont change in 3oz of unprocessed meats or fish. The same holds true for fruits and veggies. The values will always be the same.

Now...Im not kidding myself into thinking I'll never eat processed foods but the bulk of my diet is unprocessed, fresh food so Im not really too concerned about labels.

I think it's a terrible idea and sets people up for obesity if they dont know what they're eating.
MisterDiminishing
on 4/4/12 8:23 am - Windsor, Canada
Simona, GREAT POINT!! This is just another reason to make the move toward raw ingredients and away from prepared/processed food items, as much as possible. Much as I do agree it is shameful labelling is taking a step backward.

Most Active
Recent Topics