Why do post op diets differ so much?

Lisa H.
on 4/6/12 8:05 am, edited 4/6/12 8:21 am - Canada
VSG on 03/28/12
So many people have different diets after surgery...why is that?  Ive been told day 1-13 clear fluids, day 14-27 full fluids, and day 28 on soft/regular diet.  I had my VSG on march 28 and the smell and taste of jello literally make me sick.  I cant tolerate it anymore!  I was on opti 3 weeks before surgery and I loved me shakes (didnt add a thing to them)  I dont go see the nurse and nut until the 18th of april.  Im not taking any vitamins just rabeprazole (i assume for acid reduction)  Today day 9 I started full fluids just because i needed something and like i said jello makes me vomit now!  I started with very thin oatbran followed by 100ml of 0% vanilla yogurt, lunch was beef broth with 100ml of sf pudding and dinner was chicken broth and 100ml unsweetened apple sauce.  Im really hopping i dont hurt myself doing this.  I feel fine...no pain, no fever, no nothing.  Anyone else going through this or better yet did anyone have surgery around the same time as me??
Lisa          
(deactivated member)
on 4/6/12 8:33 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Each centre follows a post op diet that they feel is the right one.  It's the same as the pre-op Optifast diet, they don't all allow the same stuff on Optifast either. I wouldn't sway from my clinic's post op diet but that's the way I am.  You made the choice not to follow it and that's your choice.
Jennifer D.
on 4/6/12 9:03 am
The diet is often not only to allow healing but also to allow for maximum post op weight loss. The diets that confuse me are the ones that suggest carbs in second/third stage.
Diminishing Dawn
on 4/6/12 9:22 am - Windsor, Canada
 Good to see you!! Miss you around these parts !  Hope you are doing well!

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Jennifer D.
on 4/6/12 3:28 pm, edited 4/6/12 3:28 am
Thanks Dawn
I have been reading but keeping my thoughts to myself. I am currently obsessed with carbs so I pretty much have 2 things to say 1. Check out the carbs in low fat, low calorie food and 2. Stay away from carbs!! So yeah, not alot to say - lol. I was hoping to make it to the April meeting, now looking forward to May...
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
PatXYZ
on 4/7/12 9:30 am
Agree with you on this! I have no idea what most of the centre's dieticians have against fat, but it clearly shows their education is out of date!
Shar eD
on 4/8/12 10:35 am
If one has an office job, how soon does the average person return to work after a VSG?  I guess you'd want to be eating again, for energy, etc.
PatXYZ
on 4/8/12 1:42 pm
Depending on your recovery, anywhere from 4-6 weeks is reasonable.
PatXYZ
on 4/6/12 10:07 am
Something I would like to see happen is a standardization of the post-op diet across the centres based on the recommendations of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) which is something that Hamilton is striving to do with their new post-op diet plan. Theirs looks like 2-3 days of clears fluids in hospital, 2 weeks of full fluids, followed by 4 weeks of progressive soft foods - no more stages of pureed or minced, etc. I disagree with the extent that they recommend avoiding fat, but many of the recommendations are spot on with a focus on protein, including protein supplements. 

My opinion is that centres that recommend 2 weeks of clear fluids do so with no research or scientific backing and without the support of the ASMBS. It is ridiculous and torturous and I've never seen it anywhere except for here in Ontario. But then again I feel the same way about optifast. Just my opinion.

Given that every other centre allows full fluids at just a few days out, I think you can feel confident that you're not going to physically harm yourself with full fluids at this point, even though it against your centres rules (I'd recommend something with more protein than oatbran, applesauce, pudding, etc). What I would love to see though is people telling the dieticians how difficult and unneccesary 2 weeks of full fluids seems and being honest with them about when they started what foods, etc. After my DS, which has a sleeve stomach, I was eating soft foods like babybel cheese at 10 days out with the support of my dietician AND it helped my nausea.
Shar eD
on 4/8/12 10:33 am
How many days do people typically stay in hospital after VSG?  I would be in Hamilton
Most Active
Recent Topics