Kingston - new bariatric centre to open

Gabygee
on 4/9/12 10:44 pm - Canada
This story comes from the Kingston Whig-Standard:

Hotel Dieu program takes aim at obesity

By Danielle VandenBrink/The Whig-Standard

Posted 3 days ago

As the east region struggles with higher-than-average rates of obesity, those living with the sometimes life-threatening condition will now have a chance to receive specialized care closer to home.

Next week, Hotel Dieu Hospital in Kingston will launch a new bariatric assessment and treatment program, aimed at tackling obesity — one of the area’s most serious chronic illnesses.

read more: http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=35 26890

slim115
on 4/9/12 10:47 pm - peterborough, Canada
great News for the East!!!
Opti Weight-386lbs.............Surgery Weight- 355 lbs...........Goal Weight- 200lbs        
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/12 11:26 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 05/25/12
Nice to see a clinic will open BUT the 5 year monitoring may be more discouraging for some. I know for myself already close to 2 years since referal has been a long wait so far.. I couldn't imagine 5 years
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/12 11:35 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
The 5 years of monitoring is for after surgery just like every other centre in Ontario.  It's not that you will be waiting 5 years for surgery by going there.
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/12 11:42 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 05/25/12
Maybe I read it wrong...it was this part that has me questioning it:

Patients at the centre will be seen by a series of health professionals, including physicians, a nurse practitioner, dietitians and social workers, who will assess the patients’ health and lifestyle to determine whether surgical intervention is required.

If it is, patients will be seen by the centre for a period of five years in order to have their progress, and potential complications, monitored.

Karen M.
on 4/9/12 11:44 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Right - 5 year follow up post-op.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/12 11:45 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I read that as if surgery is required then they follow you for 5 years.  That is the exact same standard that the other RATC are doing along with all the surgical centres.
cayleighsmom
on 4/10/12 12:29 am
RNY on 06/05/12
thanks for sharing the linc. I hope to be followed there post surgery from Humber. It is so much closer to me, only 1 hour drive compared to 3.5-4.  I went on to read the comments that peolple left regaring the article.  It burns my a$$ that there is so much negatvity around obseity.  o i want to be obese?? NO, have i tried everythere out there to lose the wieht? YES!!  Would you deny chemo to a patient who has perhaps smoked? or had unprotected sex?? I think not.  I wish pepole would educate themselves just a little before making such statements about people being fat and lazy!! This just confirms to me why so many people are fearful to share their intent regarding surgery or why there is people in the WLS closet. 

Ok i've have goe off topic a bit. looking forward to Kingston opening, and excited that my family dr. shared that the NP form his office is now the NP there.
SweetAndSassyOne
on 4/10/12 3:17 am - Kingston, Canada
Caleigh,

Remember to keep your gas receipts, hotel bills, food expenses etc. You can claim all of this on your Income Tax.
Even if you take the train, bus etc,  that is covered as well.

SweetAndSassyOne
"Nothing Tastes as Good as Skinny Feels"

Most Active
Recent Topics