Hamilton's new food program

350Ann180
on 4/30/12 8:14 am - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
Just did the "Food for Life" class in Hamilton. 

We had a question on here earlier in the week about fat/carb/protein/calorie counting. So the new protocol is this:

60 g protein - everyday for the remainer of your life - no concern about fats/carbs/calories until you can eat normally.  Eventually - they want you to stay at 1200 calories per day with 60g of protein. 

That was all they said about it.

They have a new diet progression - but I don't know the old one so I can't compare.  They will feed us protein shakes in the hospital, full fluids as soon as you go home for 2 weeks, then a soft diet introducing different things each wee****il week 6 is over.

At the end of week 6 - you should be able to eat anything - about a cup at a time - 60g protein a day up to 1200 calories.

Seems simple enough - let you know in about  6 weeks how it is going....

Ann

HopefulMar
on 4/30/12 8:22 am, edited 4/30/12 8:41 am - Stoney Creek, Canada
Thank you Ann, that was me   

Great to know, less figuring out for now about carbs, fat and calories. Makes things less complicated. 
Marcia
VSG- April 2, 2012 Dr.Anvari St Joes-Hamilton  

PatXYZ
on 4/30/12 8:40 am
I was a guinea pig patient for this new protocol when I had my surgery in early March. The dietician (Adam) was very open to personalizing it to my needs as a DSer and as someone who eats both low carb and nearly gluten-free which meant both more protein and more fat for me and he was very helpful in going through the plan. I think it's great. Much simpler than dealing with purees or minced foods, just a natural progression of full fluids (which has a generous definition) to soft foods to regular foods. My main criticism of it is that they are still too focused on low-fat eating, which drives up carbs, but there is at least an understanding of encouraging healthy fats. Enjoy!

PaulaToronto
on 4/30/12 10:36 am - Toronto, Canada
Pat, so they don't want us to go over 60 gr of protein period?  I eat 80 to 100 per day and aim for 100. 

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

PatXYZ
on 4/30/12 12:15 pm
No, no, 60g is set as a very clear minimum in the new guidelines. I think 80-100g is awesome and the dietician I spoke to didn't think this was a problem for RNY and VSGers either. My minimum is 100, aiming for 120g daily for 3 months out and at 6 months, 150g!
PaulaToronto
on 4/30/12 6:43 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thanks, that's good.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Dianadcr
on 4/30/12 9:19 am - Canada
WoW, what a switch. I had my surgery in late January and just started diet for life last week. I found there was very little difference for me between purred and minced. Good luck as you go through the various stages!
  Diana

Diane Steg
on 4/30/12 9:48 am - St Catharines, Canada
 Thanks for the info. Sounds better already lol
Blu-Diva
on 4/30/12 11:21 am - Hamilton, Canada
 Sound great

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Karen M.
on 4/30/12 11:34 am - Mississauga, Canada
I for one am thrilled to see that Hamilton is now encouraging protein from the start - the clears for 2 weeks thing was scary!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics