Bowel obstructions common?

Susan_T
on 5/1/12 12:05 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Getting closer to surgery the seemingly high incidence of bowel obstruction issues after surgery  (even a year or more post op)  has me very concerned. It's the only thing that has me second guessing my choice at this point - and I think it's because I just don't understand what causes this for people that are post-op by a year or more. So many people on the boards seem to have had problems with this ...

I understand that bowel obstructions can happen after any abdominal surgery... but I thought there was a time when you could say you were "out of the woods"...  but some WLS patients seems to be having these problems a year or more out.... it seems like it must be WLS related rather than something that would have happened with or without surgery.

Am I right that this seems to be very common? Or has it just been more commonly discussed on the boards over the last several months?

I've researched without really finding answers... and I will ask my doctor about this... but if anyone has any insight or info i'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
Monica M.
on 5/1/12 12:09 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
it is a complication. I dont think its any more common now than it has been. its something that we'l always have to be aware of, i think. A friend of mine who had RNY 10 yrs ago had an obstruction 3 yrs ago, so 7 yrs post op.

Be aware of the symptoms. Cramping pain around the belly button, not passing gas or stool (or passing only watery stools).

If you do have that sort of abdominal pain, you need to be seen by a dr. That doctor should be your bariatric surgeon, or should at least consult with a bariatric surgeon.

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/12 12:22 pm - Toronto, Canada
 I think the stats for bowel obstructions are 3% of RNY patients, but I may be remembering this wrong.  I'm sure there must be a reliable stat somewhere on the internet about this.  I asked the nurse about this at my bariatric centre and she said bowel obstructions are risks of any abdominal surgery and that this risk is life long because of the abdominal surgery.
Monica M.
on 5/1/12 9:06 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
3% is what i was told by my surgeon, Slrm2m.

Karen W.
on 5/1/12 11:03 pm - Canada
I can't speak to obstructions, but I had emergency surgery for a herniated bowel last week, just over a year out.  I was told that this sort of problem is a risk after any major abdominal surgery, but more so after WLS.  The reason for this is that we lose so much weight; it makes sense that it would happen a year or more out, once we have lost a huge amount of weight.  The fat in our abdominal cavity disappears, leaving extra space that allows for the bowels to move around.  In my case, the bowel looped around itself and herniated, then began to strangulate. The surgeon managed to untangle the bowel without having to remove any (thank God) and then rearranged everything in such a way that it fills the empty space in my abdominal cavity.  There is, of course, a risk that this will happen again but it may be fine forever.

With major surgery comes major risks.  Educate yourself about the symptoms of any possible post-surgical complications. Insist that you are seen asap by a bariatric surgeon if you need to go to emerg for abdominal pain, and be prepared to educate the triage staff about post-WLS risks (they really don't know anything about this, generally speaking).

Good luck with your decision.  And, BTW, I still don't regret my RNY!

RNY April 11, 2011       

Susan_T
on 5/2/12 4:14 am - Ottawa, Canada
Thanks so much for your insights and advice. It sounds like it's important to know what can go wrong, know the warning signs and to see a doctor without delay if you experience them.

I was limiting my search to WLS and bowel obstructions.... when I expanded it to abdominal surgery and bowel obstructions a lot more information came up. The info helps a lot.

Thanks again!
kmachan
on 5/2/12 10:08 am - Straford, Canada
The stats are very low I unfortunately fell into that low category but let me say this listen to your body and your doctors.  I am almost 2 years post op and it's kind of bitter sweet having gone through this.  My silver lining is that if I hadn't been so successful in my weight loss this wouldn't have been an issue.  There was so much wiggle room inside of me that caused the problem.  I try to be very in tune with my body and got medical attention without waiting too long.  Keep in mind how many people who have had this surgery that have had no problems.  Unfortunately we focus on the bad more than the good.  Also even having had emergency surgery and going through this if I had it all to do again I would!!!! HONESTLY
Karrianne
I'm loving angels instead...

Most Active
Recent Topics