Menstration changes after VSG...for the women

Lisa H.
on 5/5/12 12:52 am, edited 5/5/12 5:53 am - Canada
VSG on 03/28/12
I havent been regular for at least 8 yrs now.  Ive been to the Dr and tested for everything including PCOS.  Since ive lost 50lbs Ive gotten "my friend" twice in 3 weeks both 7 days exactly.  It is very scarey because Ive never experienced it so heavy before.  Not alot of crampy but lets just say its hard to keep up with it...if you know what I mean.  Did anyone experience this after surgery?  Im 6 weeks out. 
Lisa          
trudylam
on 5/5/12 12:56 am - Sudbury, Canada
I can't talk for VSG but with the RNY I went from having very light (almost nonexistant) periods because I have a Mirena, to really heavy and long cycles post op.  It has to do with the hormone changes as we lose the weight.  I am finding that they are lightening up now that I am almost a year out but I am still on 2 weeks, off 2 weeks.  Just one of the less pleasant side effects of rapid weight loss.  Best of luck to you! :)
Susan B.
on 5/5/12 2:36 am - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
Just a note to add to those with more frequent periods-please be very aware this can cause your Hemoglobin to drop further.  As well if you are having more frequent periods it could be caused from a drop in hemoglobin, as well as a cause.  Its truly a viscious cycle. 

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

Lisa H.
on 5/5/12 5:53 am - Canada
VSG on 03/28/12
I never even thought of that...Grrrr!
PatXYZ
on 5/5/12 2:42 am
It's completely normal for your periods to be messed up post-op, it could be this way for months. Rapid weight-loss plays havoc with the body and this is one of its manifestations. Are you supplementing iron? If not, you should be. Are you taking some form of hormonal birth control? (Other than the pill). This could help reduce the bleeding. I had a Mirena IUD placed before my surgery to help cut down on bleeding and it's been great. Keep in mind too that you need to avoid becoming pregnant, so if you're using anything other than the Mirena IUD, it would be smart to 'double-up' on methods.
Ammi Tu
on 5/5/12 5:04 am
RNY on 04/13/12
My nurse said that for the first 3 months after surgery my periods could be messed up. After that, we will have to address it somehow. Now I see from other posters that it may indeed be messed up longer. Lovely.

I had my period the week before my surgery. Was done in time for my surgery. YAY! Got it back about 4 days after my surgery. BOO!!! Had it for a week and a half, very light but still enough to be annoying, with light cramping. It finally went away and I thought I was free - came back yesterday. GAH!!! 

I do have PCOS so my periods have been irregular in every way most of my life.

Anyway, you're not alone. Just keep your clinic informed about it and hang in there! I know it sucks!!!

Referral: pre-Aug 2010 <>  Info Session: Mar 18/11 <>  Nurse Practioner: Oct  31/11  <>  Behaviourist/Dietitian: Nov 15/11 <> Social Worker: end Nov/11  <>  Endoscopy: Jan 18/12 <>  Education Class: Feb 29/12  <>  Surgeon Mtg: Mar 6, 2012  <>  Called w/Date: 20 Mar, 2012 <> Surgeon: Dr. Mamazza  <> RNY Surgery Date: 13 Apr/12
denise_norman
on 5/5/12 7:33 am - Canada
RNY on 02/29/12
 So glad to hear. That I am not alone in this. Grrrr!!!

Referal: March 2011                   Orientation: TWH July 21,20
11           Nurse Practitioner:Sept. 6,2011
Sleep Clinic Test: Sept. 11,2011 Sleep Clinic Result:
Sept. 27, 2011   Social Worker: Oct.. 19, 2011   
Nutrition Class: Nov.1,2011        Diabetis Assessment: Nov. 01, 2011  Dietitian: Dec. 02, 2011 
Psychologist: Dec. 06, 2011       Surgeon Meeting: Jan. 21, 2012        RYN Surgery Date: Feb. 29, 2012

Lisa H.
on 5/5/12 10:18 am - Canada
VSG on 03/28/12
I wasgetting worried about it.  I go and see the surgeon for my post op appt on Tues so Im going to tell her whats happening.  I didnt see anyone post about this on the forum and felt embarrassed to do it but I really wanted some feed back.
Ammi Tu
on 5/5/12 1:04 pm
RNY on 04/13/12
It's difficult to post embarrassing questions, especially with some of the responses people have been getting lately - but I figure it is more important to know the answers than to worry about being embarrassed. So kudos to you for having the courage to ask!! There are definitely no stupid questions.

Referral: pre-Aug 2010 <>  Info Session: Mar 18/11 <>  Nurse Practioner: Oct  31/11  <>  Behaviourist/Dietitian: Nov 15/11 <> Social Worker: end Nov/11  <>  Endoscopy: Jan 18/12 <>  Education Class: Feb 29/12  <>  Surgeon Mtg: Mar 6, 2012  <>  Called w/Date: 20 Mar, 2012 <> Surgeon: Dr. Mamazza  <> RNY Surgery Date: 13 Apr/12
Lisa H.
on 5/5/12 10:54 pm - Canada
VSG on 03/28/12
Thanks I appreciate that:)  I was actually going to leave this forum because of the responses that happened through a thread last time but a very nice vet told me not to and to move on!  This is me moving on...many more questions are coming from me lol.  Cheers!!
Most Active
Recent Topics