JP drain

monalisas_mom
on 6/7/12 12:17 pm
 I am one week post RNY, and have a Jackson Pratt drain in place. It is draining fine, but since yesterday I can feel where it is placed inside of me if that makes sense. It isn't sore, just an uncomfortable feeling like it is lying under my right ribs. Has anyone else had one, and experienced this? Thanks in advance!!! 
(deactivated member)
on 6/7/12 12:56 pm, edited 6/7/12 12:57 pm
I had two of them years ago when I had my gallbladder out.  Uncomfortable but not painful.  Not fun having it removed but mine were under my liver.   I have watched them being placed during surgery and yes, you have a tube about 10 inches long or so coiled under there
JJ_
on 6/7/12 1:06 pm
I am in Ottawa, and none of my surgery mates nor I had drains.  Hopefully it doesn`t need to stay too long inside you.

Judy
PatXYZ
on 6/7/12 2:26 pm
I had this and know exactly what you mean. Mine wasn't painful, just uncomfortable and 'weird' feeling. Just wait until the doc pulls it out - such a strange sensation! I felt instantly better when it came out.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
suebdc
on 6/7/12 7:19 pm - Kinburn, Canada
VSG on 01/26/12
I had one for 6 weeks, not painful, just a pain in the ass having the thing hanging around, they can move so maybe you should follow up with your doctor.

Sue

Sue

Monica M.
on 6/7/12 9:44 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
Dear Mom
I had drains in when i had my breast reduction. They were the most uncomfortable part of the whole thing. I felt it snake under my hand when the nurse removed it... weird.

MonaLisa

monalisas_mom
on 6/8/12 4:08 am
 Thank you all so much. I can't wait for this to be out. It is definitely inconvenient, and uncomfortable. 

JennR
on 6/8/12 5:00 am
If it is draining less than 20-30 cc in 24 hours it could probably come out. Do you know what orders your surgeon wrote for care of the drain? I'm a nurse, did community nursing for awhile and have pulled them out. I've never had anyone tell me that it hurt coming out, most were prepared for it to be painful and then were surprised when I told them to relax, it was already out!

Most Active
Recent Topics