I need some help

terrlou01
on 6/25/12 11:43 pm - Belle River , Canada
I had my surgery 4 years ago 25 Jun 2008..... I lost 116 pounds which I was so happy to have
lots, but it is 4 years later and I have gained 25 pounds back and I'm feeling very upset with myself....I try to eat health, I walk everyday 5k's. Can some give me some suggestion....

Help

Terry Lou

Monica M.
on 6/25/12 11:50 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
Hey Terry Lou. Welcome back to the fold. You've done the right thing in coming for help.

Do you track your food? If you don't, i'd suggest that would be a good place to start. You may think you're eating well/right, but if you truly keep track, weigh and measure, you'll discover differently.

You might want to mix up your activity a bit. The body is an efficient machine, and if you're doing the same kind of activity, your body will figure out the most efficient way of doing that, and that translates into less calories used. Maybe add some weights, elliptical training, swimming, something else that your body is not used to.

good luck.

also, is there a support group in your area you can attend?

Mon

Gabygee
on 6/25/12 11:59 pm - Canada
Monica's right on two counts - you did the right thing by coming back to OH for support - we are all afraid of exactly that, and the coping mechanisms we were given are designed to help with the inevitable re-gain of our weight.

And she's right as well about the tracking - that's absolutely key.

As an example, Karen M still contributes to the "What are You Eating/Doing Today" thread 6 years post-op, because it helps her to judge her protein amounts and more importantly her portion sizes.

My advice would be (and I need to follow this myself!) to go back to the original rules.

1) do a 5-day pouch test
2) up your water intake
3) measure your portions more accurately
4) track very carefully - and that means every bite of ANYTHING
5) go back to increased protein, absolutely minimal carbs

I predict you can lose 5-8 pounds in the first 4 weeks if you do all that.

Catw
on 6/26/12 12:34 am - Arnprior, Canada
First thing to remember is that you are not alone in this struggle.  Doing it alone, is the hardest thing, but you have friends here that will help.

I agree with Gabby and Monica, the best thing to do is to go back to basics, starting with journaling. If you want more accountability, put your plan on the What are you eating today?
thread.  Then go back each day and compare the two, see if they match.

Also watch what you are drinking.  Are you getting enough water in?  Are you drinking too much caffeine?

Are you getting all your vitimins in?

The 5 Day Pouch Test is a great tool.  If you don't want to do that one alone, ask the board for someone to join you.  You'll be surprised how big of a group you get when you plan to do it (I was).  And doing it on the forum makes it more accountable too.

You'll loose those 25 lbs, I'm sure of it.

Cathy

Most Active
Recent Topics