Alcohol pre-op

Nancy T.
on 7/6/12 2:28 am - Canada
I was told not to consume alcohol 3 months pre-op and at least 3 months post-op.  I am 6 weeks away from surgery and I had a few drinks a couple weeks ago. I am concerned this will affect my surgery but I don't want to call them because I don't want them to push out my surgery date.  I don't intend to drink anymore.... I just wanted to make sure medically I will be ok.  Any thoughts ? 
Karen M.
on 7/6/12 2:30 am - Mississauga, Canada
I wouldn't worry about it, no.  And I wouldn't mention it either.  Just be good now. lol

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

JJ_
on 7/6/12 2:51 am
Did they say why they didn`t want you to consume alcohol 3 months pre-surgery?

I know each centre is different and I do not remember this being an instruction in Ottawa.  I know they told us a minimum a year post op before you ask again if you can have alcohol....and their answer would be that they do not recommend it at all.

Judy
trudylam
on 7/6/12 3:19 am - Sudbury, Canada
So let me get this straight, hopefully without sounding rude.  You are willing to break the rules that your centre gave you as long as you don't get caught???  The chances are that they won't catch that slip up, but why risk it?  My suggestion would be to fess up and be honest with them and face the consequences if they want to impose them.  I know it sounds harsh, and for that I apologize, but I see too many people around here lately pushing the envelope with sugar, alcohol, smoking, and food.  It's frustrating to see people not taking this process seriously when there are so many that are waiting for their turn who are following the rules.  Alcohol 3 months after surgery is a huge no-no and if that's what they told you they were either mistaken or careless.  

Again, sorry if that comes off harsh.  You have to make better choices than that.
sam1am
on 7/6/12 3:53 am
If I understand correctly, you had a few drinks a couple of weeks ago, and surgery is in 6 weeks.  That brings you to a good two months sans alcohol before surgery.  Every centre is so different!  I was never told no alcohol before surgery.  Obviously during Optifast it wasn't allowed but I had a couple of drinks the night before I started it.  I think they are being very cautious here, but at least 3 months after doesn't sound cautious enough    I sure wish the centre's would standardize these things!

As Karen says, I'm sure you'll be fine, just don't have anymore.

All the best!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

PatXYZ
on 7/6/12 4:00 am
Thank goodness some standardization is coming! Apparently it is supposed to come into effect this fall, but knowing how slow things move, I think early next year is probably more likely.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
PatXYZ
on 7/6/12 3:59 am
You have nothing to worry about, I drank right up until I started my two weeks of optifast. The weekend before I started the optifast I had one of the greatest meals of my life with a lovely bottle of Bordeaux I won't soon forget :) The centre I was assessed at (TWH) doesn't require people to stop drinking until they start optifast. The only medical issue is that booze thins the blood and you'll bleed more, but this effect wears off within a day of the drinking stopping, so you've got nothing to worry about. I think some of the centres have people commit to stopping earlier as a test to make sure they aren't abusing alcohol, though I think there are better ways to address this during the assessment process.

No booze for 3 months post-op sounds very reasonable as that's when you are most susceptible to ulcers.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
(deactivated member)
on 7/7/12 12:04 am - Guelph, Canada
 i agree with pat.. nothing to worry about..

I am not a drinker but my friend is a bartemder and was hell bent on finding a drink that I would like and sure enough he did and it was yummy but as soon as I started opti no more drinky drinky..lol 
Monica M.
on 7/6/12 4:15 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
you'll be fine, i'm sure. Don't ask don't tell, is the policy on this one, but, yeah, i wouldnt have another drink now.

and 3 months post op? i was told a year or more, if ever.

Shar eD
on 7/7/12 10:30 am
I called the hospital because they scheduled me for surgery and I had a close family wedding to attend 2 days after I started optifast.  Hospital dialogued w/dietician and surgeon and told me to enjoy wedding, food and drink - that it wouldn't hurt.  They then thanked me for asking and said many just go ahead without asking.  I asked surgeon about alcohol ban and he said that part of the reason is that the are concerned about people transferring food issues to drinking issues after surgery - and they want people to be aware of this.  Plus they want the liver to be shrunk for surgery.  From my experience (wedding 2 weeks before surgery and their consent) I'm sure that you'll be just fine. 

All the best, hope all goes very well w/surgery and quick recovery. 
Most Active
Recent Topics