freakin out..surgery is in 5 days...and not 100% i want it anymore :(

Leafsfan1982
on 7/12/12 1:35 pm - Canada
seeing peoples problems after the surgery is scaring me away from this...help :(
avivaps
on 7/12/12 1:49 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
 Ultimately only you can answer this question and there are definitely people who back out even at the last minute. Having said that, I think it's also normal to second guess such a big decision as surgery day approached. I know I did and I had been soooo gung ho till then.

I know what you mean about seeing so many complications, but I think what you have to remember is that things are a little slanted here.  More often people are going to post their problems rather than just that everything is going smoothly.  I know I was reassured somewhat when someone posted about how lucky they felt to have had a smooth course and so many others responded that they did too. Also, when asked EVEN THOSE WHO HAVE REPORTED COMPLICATION most seem to say they would do it over again. That gave me a lot of comfort.

For the record, I had a very smooth post-operative course and now, at 4 1/2 month out I am down over 70 lb and close to goal. I feel fantastic. 

This is a big decision.  If you truly don't feel ready you can always put things on hold temporarily and re-evaluate. You want to be as ready as possible for this life-changing surgery.

Good luck with your decision and know we support you whatever you decide.

Andrea

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

blkir
on 7/12/12 1:59 pm
it is scary and i felt like you too - but now that i have done it (on june 11) i would never go back - even with the few issues that i have had - do what your heart tells you to - but i have found that the positive far outways the negative ...... best of luck to you!
Monica M.
on 7/12/12 6:34 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
some people do have problems and issues. remember that bad news travel fast. You hear more about them then you do about the majority of people who have no issues or problems at all. Definitely a huge decision to make. Go with your gut.

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/12 8:27 pm - Straford, Canada
 reflection, even fear is a good thing imo!  I have read posts where after the surgery people have said "omg what have I done"!  After all the meetings, the pschologist, nurses, dieticians, etc, if you have done something and not realized what you were in for you need medications and constant meetings with psych professionals imo!  There are hundreds if not thousands of folks waiting behind you who will gladly get bumped up the list, so decide.  Less than 100% would be a mistake, again imo!  Ian
JJ_
on 7/12/12 8:40 pm
My surgery has been a breeze.  I woke up in the hospital wondering if they even did anything.  I checked under my hospital gown and yep there were the coverings on the 5 incisions.

I was in hospital for two days and as  a diabetic they wanted to make sure everything was stable.  No issues in hospital.  Came home and filled my prescription for pain meds.  I took one pill the first night thinking that if I needed it, I was already medicated.  Woke up the next day and did not bother to take any more....yep have hydromorphone in my medicine cabinet....

The only thing that slowed me down was that I was tired, so I napped each day.  I just had major surgery. 

I have not experienced any issues with any food that I have tried.  My internal plumbing works like it is supposed to, i.e. my potty breaks are normal.  I eat prunes in the evening to keep things moist.

I no longer take any diabetes meds nor any meds for high blood pressure.  The only medication I still take is synthroid for my thyroid, which is not weight related.

My family doctor is amazed each time I see her about how much smaller I am.  My endocrinologist loves to see my blood work.

That is my journey.  Your journey is entirely yours alone.  I am over 50 years old.  I have dieted, and dieted and dieted my way up to 380 lbs.  I could not see myself living very long and enjoying the pension I had paid into for over 30 years (not retired yet). 

If you are not ready for this, please call your centre and they can schedule someone else in your place.  If you decide not to go ahead when you are on the operating table, then it is impossible to bring someone else in and the space is wasted.

You can also call the behaviourist for a telephone consultation if you need to talk this through.  You could make a list of the pros and cons for you personally.

Good luck in your decision.

Judy
jewel-twin
on 7/12/12 8:53 pm - Canada
Are you REALLY not sure you want this or are you just having surgery jitters.

Seems to me a LOT of people start second guessing 1-2 weeks away from surgery...

Think about all the reasons you WANT this... What the outcome in a year will be....

If you think of the actual journey...the diet.... the weight loss... the new cloths... the ability to do things you can do currently... how do you feel? Excited, ready?

Surgery is the first step and it is a big one I don't want to play that down but I "Plan" to fully think it out now that I am way far away from surgery and NOT to think about it when I get closer... I "plan" to spend the weeks leading up thinking about all the things I WANT out of life... and not focusing on the actual surgery. (But that is my coping mechanism...)

Juls
(deactivated member)
on 7/12/12 9:35 pm - Guelph, Canada
 Some have problems some don't.... I have not been posting much cause I'm off enjoying life 20 lbs less I am 5 weeks post op

I have had ZERO problems with the exception of eggs... 
ruth63
on 7/12/12 10:13 pm - aurora, Canada
Can I suggest you do a list, write down all the positives and then the other side the negatives.
See which side wins out.
You do not tell us anything about yourself, like your age, health issues besides weight. How much you want to lose?  Did all the tests come out well, is your risk very low.  All these factors should play into your decision.
I am 60 plus and worried about coming out of the surgery, spoke to the doctor about that 1 in 200 dying, that takes in all the really sick people and those who weight over 400 lbs, which really makes the stats not realistic to the majority who have the surgery.
I weighted what limitations I had with my current life, how many diets I failed at, too numerous to think of, how many times I lost and gained 50-70 lbs and how I just couldn;t do it on my own.
My health issues were getting worse. Hard to walk or garden more than 15 min. Wanting to see my kids married and enjoy grandchildren. Wish I had done this earlier.
I did wake up in hospital and said what in the world did I do to myself, but that passed in a day or so.
First month wasn;t easy, hard to learn to eat slowly.  Didn;t have much pain at all, went off the meds even in hospital.  Had great problems with moving my bowels but after trying several things have the right fix for me.
Now almost 5 months out, and down 76 lbs., I can almost eat everything, much smaller however. I get so many complements on how I look its embarrassing, but nice.
So the bottom line is think really hard if its for you.  Lots of support groups local to where you live so you will have lots of support in person beside here.
If you read the challenges, almost all have found solutions.
With anything you want really bad you have to put some work into it and it just doesn;t happen in a few days or months.
Find a support group near you, go and talk to the people there, all will be very helpful, sometimes in person its better than just written word like here, then make your decision..
Good luck to you.
kellybelly333
on 7/12/12 10:52 pm - Toronto, Canada
For me, it was between life and and early death. The possibility of the complications from surgery outweighed the cons of not having the surgery. I was 37, with diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, depression, high chloresterol, and joint pain. I walked out of surgery with only a 1/2 a water pill for high blood pressure (which I still take....it runs in my family and we now know is not entirely weight related for me). My life has changed for the better. I faced major issues that I couldn't have faced before as my head was too far into my food addiction. I do have hypoglycemia and had iron issues. The iron I was infused with, and may have to go again. The hypoglycemia is also easily managed with proper food intake and timing. Both are not life threatening issues.

I would not change anything for the world!If I carried on the way I was going, I would be dead by 50. FIFTY!! That is what they told me

Good luck with your decision!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics