Excess Skin

Nancy T.
on 7/15/12 9:53 am - Canada

Are you more likely to have excess skin with WLS then other methods of weight loss due to the rapid rate in which you lose the weight versus slowly.  Just wondering as I see many posts about this and the Social Worker brought it up as well.

Leslie W.
on 7/15/12 10:13 am - Cobourg, Canada
With rapid loss skin does not have a chance to shrink slowly. If you have a lot to lose or stretch marks either way will cause loose skin. Once stretched the damage is done.
I will take the loose skin over the weight anyday.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
cayleighsmom
on 7/15/12 10:22 am
RNY on 06/05/12
hijack!! holy crap Leslie!! lookm at you!!. i had to go to your profile to see if you were who i thought you were..lol you look great!! love the new avatar!! not sure when you changed it, but you look great!!

all the best,
Barbie
Allaryanna
on 7/16/12 11:34 pm - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
 Holy WOW...You look great!!!!!

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

sosweet74
on 7/15/12 10:29 am - Tweed , Canada
Wow Leslie you do look fantastic
PWA93
on 7/15/12 10:57 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
 I have lost 105 lbs since starting Optifast and it's not too bad on the belly but my arms and thighs are probably going to need surgery one day but like others have said.. I would take the skin over the weight.

BTW... congrats on being ready.  I had my surgery in Hamiltona and they were amazing.  The nurses on the 6th floor were fantastic.

Blu-Diva
on 7/15/12 11:47 am - Hamilton, Canada
 The same here I will take skin over fat any day, also I'm getting healthier. Take care.

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Patti K.
on 7/15/12 12:11 pm - Kingston On, Canada
Nancy....I would take it one step further, and add that it depends on your age as well, and how many times you've lost and gained weight over the years, how many babies you've had...lots of reasons to add to the list...Patti K.

sam1am
on 7/15/12 12:12 pm
No matter how you lose the weight, you will have the same amount of loose skin.  Because of losing so rapidly, it may take a while to shrink back as much as it will, but the same amount would be left a couple of years after no matter how you lost it.  Any damaged skin such as stretch marks will not shrink well if at all, but otherwise there are factors that will make a difference in how you will end up such as your age, heredity, how you carry your weight, how long you have been overweight. 

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Jason W.
on 7/15/12 9:22 pm - Canada
I agree with all of the above. I think the biggest factor is how much you have to lose. Or to put it bluntly, how overweight you are.

I was a light weight so I have almost no extra skin. Just a little on my arms that I can fill with muscle.

I think the best way to make sure you are not getting more than your fair share is to exercise and tone. We all lose a bit of muscle with our fat, so keeping up our protein intake and exercising to build new muscle is very important.

But hey the reality is, even with excess skin you will look and feel fantastic.
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

Most Active
Recent Topics