calories

rosie1985
on 8/22/12 6:52 pm - Canada
 hey everyone!!!

I am almost 9 weeks out and right now my calorie intake varies from 750 a day to 800 a day. I'm not sure how many calories I'm suppost to consume but I usually just make sure I'm getting in 75-80g of protein a day!! I feel like I can eat more sometimes and that scares me cause my brain is so used to small portions. I usually have 3oz of meat at each meal...1/4 cup veg and 1/4 cup carb.....usually don't hit 800  cals most days....am I doing ok????

don't weigh myself either. don't want to be obssessed with it.. Just want to focus on healthy eating and excercise :)

any comments are greatly appreciated

Rosie
ShallowGirl
on 8/22/12 7:05 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
I envy you.  I totally puke up all meat regardless of how much I chew it.

I think they do labs at 3 months that will tell you if there are any vitamin deficiencies.

I think you should weigh yourself once a week (though I just went 12 days between weigh ins) although now that I think about it, you know if you're losing by the clothes right?  I agree that the numbers are not to obsess over.

We must have almost the same surgery dates - good luck !

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

PatXYZ
on 8/22/12 7:12 pm
I'm against the idea of counting calories personally, so I don't do it. I limit my carbs to 50g and aim to exceed 100g of protein each day and don't monitor my fat intake at all. There really isn't any reason why fat intake needs to be kept track of as long as you are choosing healthy fats, which are actually good for your heart, like those found in fish, nuts, olive oil, etc. I think worrying about calories is a micromanaging approach and it really only tells half the story as not all calories are created equal.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
birdiegirl
on 8/23/12 3:10 am

Hi Rosie

Sounds like you are doing great - and smart to concentrate on health as your main goal.

I did track my caloric intake from the beginning - I was interested to see where I was and to get me in the habit of tracking everything...

However - the most important thing to track in my mind is Protein....if you are eating your 60 - 100 grams of protein per day - you wont have much room for other food categories....I actually ate closer to 100 grams throughout and credit that habit with helping me lose 160 pounds

The first year my calories climbed from somewhere in the 450 range the first week or so - to 650 - 800 the first 3 - 7 months....and then to 1200 from approx 9 months to 18 months....

I also tried to vary my calories....to keep my body fooled....and some days I ate to 1500 - 1800 calories as I didn't want to set myself up to starve later on

I think it is actually more important to track calories and intake post 24 months as that is when things begin to change in your body.....you can put weight on if you aren't careful....so I track daily (still) and now eat 1200 - 1800 depending on the day...again with variation

Remember you can eat around ANY of the surgeries....and gain weight....the first two years lull you in to a false sense of security.....I ,like many, fell into that and now scrutinize everything that goes in my mouth for calories/carbs and health benefits

Sorry this is a long answer....but really I think you have the correct mindset.....healthy eating and exercise....and get your protein in....only so much any of us can fit in our smaller stomachs/pouches.....so if you get your 80 - 100 grams of protein daily....dense protein....less chance of hunger and the ability to fit some slider junk in

Good luck

Barb

Patm
on 8/23/12 5:45 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
I agree with Barb. Just getting in the protein is the most important. I have recently been watch calories to get into the habit but that was after I had already lost 80 lbs. I do it mostly to see with the addedd execie how much I am taking in and how much I am expending through exercise.
when you have your follow-up dietitian appt they usually tell you to focus on your protein. They go over your meal plans and will tell you if they feel anything should be changed.

Nathalie_Can
on 8/23/12 5:45 am, edited 8/22/12 10:46 pm
Hiya Rosie,

I asked the RD at my 6-month follow-up. Like you, I wanted to make sure I was in the proper range. I told her the numbers, which is exactly like you and this is what she told me:

RD: How do you feel?
Me: Never better
RD: Losing an average of 4lbs a week?
Me: Yes
RD: So you must be doing something right!

lol...so if we read between the lines, if you lose, feel amazing, you are doing something right...lol. I'm 11 months post-op, averaging now 3lbs a week and as long as I haven't hit target (23lbs left...lol) I will stay with those numbers and then increase to maintain.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...lol
All the best,
Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

Most Active
Recent Topics